C4 Forums | Control4

Lighting control

Rob1

Question

I have a Control4 system in my home and I am wondering if there is a way to turn on and off 4 circuits in my back yard "without installing a Control4 Lighting Panel". The contractor that is doing the work is not giving me any real options. I have a pool equipment room that is located about 75 ft from my house and in that room is a 125 amp panel that controls the pumps and pool lights. Pentair panel. From the pool equipment room to my house the electrician ran 1/12" conduit to the location where I want to put in a keypad or 4 switches. The Control4 technician ran cat 5 cables from his rack to that location. The electrician was told by the control4 tech to extend all the 120v lines up to that location and he would install some kind of line voltage control4 switches in the wall at that location and then run the switch legs back to the equipment room. The 4 line voltage switches would talk to the keypad via WiFi.  The electrician is at odds because he said that it would create voltage drop out to the tennis court lights. I don't want 4 switches on my wall next to the keypad anyways. Is there any product like for example the Control4® C4-DIN-8REL-E8- Channel Relay that could be used in place of a full on lighting panel? 

2 answers to this question

Let me rephrase that question.

I want to turn on and off 4 lighting loads. I don't need to dim the lights. I have no centralized lighting panel because my house was wired conventionally. I have Audio, Video, Alarm system, cameras, garage doors and gates that can be controlled by the control4 system. I have 75 ft of 1-1/4" PVC going from the location where I want the keypad going out to where the lighting loads are located. The electrician has no problem installing relays with low voltage coils (12v 24v AC DC or even dry contacts) at the location where the loads originate. He just needs Control4 product that will do the switching. Any suggestions ?

? I'm not following I think but here goes.

You want to control 4 backyard loads.

Those loads are currently running to the pool equipment shed.

There is conduit from the equipment shed to the main house.

Based on that, I would get a single gang dinrail mount which would fir a singe C4 panalised lighting relay module. More than you need true, but at that point it's basic high voltage hookup, and run a cat6 from the pool room to the house for control of the module (which runs on network) and keypad whereever you want it.

Numerous devices available that could be used to control low voltage relays, but I'm not sure it would end up cheaper to do and this would be full-proof (also not dependant on zigbee range)

If I'm reading this wrong please clarify:

Where the loads are ran too

Where the keypad is supposed to be

Where the main rack is

Archived