C4 Forums | Control4

Wireshark for dummies

wappinghigh

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ Just curious. Where does it say in any information regarding the set up of home networks or the roll out of a Control4 platform that this is a mandatory thing to do?
Not mandatory. Nothing to do with c4. Just based on experience of slow isp dns and DNS hijack isps do to sell ads

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

Not mandatory. Nothing to do with c4. Just based on experience of slow isp dns and DNS hijack isps do to sell ads

Sure thanks for that - I guess it also makes it easier to change the DNS later if you want.. just one change at the router level..

3 hours ago, dcovach said:

This book would have to start off with one of your network stories.

Well why not? I have lived and breathed these practical issues for over 6-7 years... Don't think for a moment they aren't important..

Many other examples I am sure.....case in point Sonos denied there was an issue with their platform and managed switches for years..

(edit actually it's near on 10 years... holy crap my decade long membership is due here in about 6 months  :rolleyes:  )...

16 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

You set your TV to have static IP and DNS of your router. Set your router to use 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.6.6 for its DNS not isp

8.8.6.6?  Instead of 8.8.4.4?  I haven't used that yet.

Just now, wappinghigh said:

Well why not? I have lived and breathed these practical issues for 6-7 years... Don't think for a moment they aren't important..

Many other examples I am sure.....Sonos denied there was an issue with managed switches for years..

There is a KB with a list of settings that should be disabled on managed switches and routers that are known to cause issues with C4.  Have you ever seen it?  Some managed switches are NOT good for consumer use (and C4)  because there are unnecessary advanced settings automatically enabled by default.  

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

L3 DNS is good too 209.244.0.3, 209.244.0.4, 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3 and 4.2.2.4.

Awesome. Please write a manual for us all to follow... even a pdf. Post it on this forum. We could include the CY wiring diagram... that would be awesome...

1 minute ago, dcovach said:

There is a KB with a list of settings that should be disabled on managed switches and routers that are known to cause issues with C4.  Have you ever seen it?  Some managed switches are NOT good for consumer use (and C4)  because there are unnecessary advanced settings automatically enabled by default.  

Here we go again with "there is a KB"... I don't have access to KB's...

Awesome. Please write a manual for us all to follow... even a pdf. Post it on this forum. We could include the CY wiring diagram... that would be awesome...
Nah I'm good. Thanks. I'll spend my time how benefits me and this just isn't one of the ways

hahah oh LOL! that typo could have been very "problematic"?? hahaha
Actually unlikely to be. 8.8.8.8 is highly world wide available and I'm not aware of of any downtime with it. The only time secondary DNS is used is if the primary doesn't respond

Nah I'm good. Thanks. I'll spend my time how benefits me and this just isn't one of the ways

Pity that. Its bloody well crucial for everyone else..

1 minute ago, wappinghigh said:

Here we go again with "there is a KB"... I don't have access to KB's...

Its not meant to be a secret but KB's are certainly privileged info for dealers to avoid clogging up the tech support channels.  Its not a long list but I will share if you want.

Can I remind the good folks at Control4 that perhaps a couple KB's on "best practice" for the set up of consumer third party products might be useful and be given access to their end users?...  Last I checked the likes of A SonyTV, a Unifi WAP, a Draytek Router, a Cisco switch and Cat5 cable are quite capable of being purchased, installed and maintained outside the Control4 ecosystem without a dealer anywhere in sight... (heck before they have even arrived on a job even)..and that these settings..if best practice is not adheared to... might also be quite capable of influencing the Control4 platform once it is installed...

Archived