C4 Forums | Control4

HC-300 Ext HD Questions

coreykunak

I have a 1 petabyte USB NAS in Raid 12 hooked up via Bluetooth.

OK, not really, but a 750GB WD MyBook is humming along nicely.

One key thing to remember, though, is that if you want to be able to write to the drive you need to format it in FAT32. NTFS will work for reading, but not for writing.

--Jason

Not really a NAS if it's attached to the USB port, right?

i.e. NAS == *Network* Attached Storage...

If you have a NAS, I don't believe it matters what it's formatted as, since it's shared on the network with SMB (Windows Networking), which is format-agnostic to the SMB clients.

RyanE

Not really a NAS if it's attached to the USB port, right?

i.e. NAS == *Network* Attached Storage...

If you have a NAS, I don't believe it matters what it's formatted as, since it's shared on the network with SMB (Windows Networking), which is format-agnostic to the SMB clients.

RyanE

Not sure if you mean mine or Corey's, but Corey's using USB as am I.

its USB

But yes, I was referring to something plugged into the C4 controller, since if it's a NAS or a shared folder on another PC then you're not going to be going through the C4 controller to write to it. C4 would presumably treat the NAS or shared folder as a read-only device, and in any case there'd be no reason to go through the slow connection to C4 to write to it.

--Jason

USB-attached Seagate 1.5TB is a no-go on the HC300. I'm not surprised though, every single computer I have at home regardless of OS (Ubuntu, XP, Vista) needed chipset driver updates to recognize that drive as a single partition (the problem being beyond 1.1TB slices). If you slice it in 2 <1.1TB partitions presumably the problem goes away but it defeats the purpose of mounting it on a C4 controller. The new WD 2TB drive should fall under the same category.

Anyway, this was just a quick test, I wouldn't put my data on unprotected USB drives unless there's a solid backup solution in place

My friend uses a 1tb usb drive (western digital mybook) attached to his HC300 formatted in FAT32 with no problems.

I use a 1TB NAS in raid 5' date=' and I'm looking to upgrade it with bigger drives.[/quote']

how do you use a NAS On the control 4

It's plugged into the same network as the controller, I just point the music store to the shared folder and it works.

Archived