C4 Forums | Control4

Best IP Cameras

I have come across many posts about what IP cameras are the best but there seems to be mixed thoughts on them so I apologize in advance for asking the same question. I have been told by my dealer to get the Panasonic standard C4 cameras for around $700. I am also reading that the Axis are better but pretty high in price. I am installing these for pool surveillance right now so quality is important but this will mostly be used for when we are not in the pool because the kids are not allowed in without us.

Currently I have my Vista 20P security partitioned so I can arm the pool gate without arming the rest of the house and what I am trying to accomplish with these cams is so when the pool partition is armed the security cameras will act as the motion detector. If there is motion detected the video will appear on all TV's along with an announcement agent over the speakers. I am really just looking for the best IP cameras and the most, compatible/controllable with C4, but but would like to get around 6 of them spaced all over the inside and outside of the house and would like to not have to spend $700 a pop.

If that is what I have to do then it is what it is, but I have been reading multiple posts of people not using the top of the line cameras and having great success. What are the most important specs to look for when buying these is it the camera itself (brand/quality), my routers and access points, my DSL bandwith, installing them wired or wireless or does POE versus regular power play a role.

I understand that all of these play major roles but what are the one or two that I really need to be concerned with. I am open to purchasing a new router or access point if need be and maybe it would help if I told you that I have a 1.5m down and 768K up DSL from AT&T. I normally average around 1.1.m down. I have the AT&T modem connected to the new 802.11 n/b/g airport extreme base station hardwired to the middle of the house into the 1 terabyte Time Capsule also 802.11 n/b/g. I am going to wire them unless someone knows of something that works better. Also is the POE any better or worse than the regular power cams?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My first question would be, are you planning on viewing these cams at night? IP cams are notorious for bad pic quality in low light situations.

I would suggest going with excellent analog cameras (like Extreme CCTV or Speco), an analog DVR (Speco has awesome DVR's) that supports contact closure on motion and has loop outputs to feed into an Axis or Panny IP video server. That should cover all your bases with nighttime viewing, programming off of motion and ability to see cams on your network, C4 system or over the internet.

Hope this helps.

Oh and to answer your question about POE, it doesn't really matter if it is powered traditionally or through POE. It's just power.

Thanks for the feedback lippavisual. To answer your question night time viewing is a bonus to me it's not really a necessity though. These are mostly for pool surveillance. Maybe i am one of those overprotective parents but I hated the idea of getting a pool just because of all the horror stories you hear.

I just want the peace of mind that if anyone does open the pool gate that immediately, with zero delay or any chance of delay, that image will appear and either a siren will go over all the speakers or I can have my announcement agent tell me the pool gate has been breached. So more important than anything is immediate response from the motion detection on the camera and if need be I can always get a separate motion detector if you guys feel that the cameras are not 110% reliable.

Now that is just for the pool I would also like to have cams in the front yard which would be for strictly night viewing and recording so I think what you recommended would be a perfect solution for there. And then inside the house I think they would work also because I am only using them for certain rooms that we have baby monitors in but prefer to have cams with audio and video.

Do you sell the analog cams and DVR's and can you PM with some numbers for all of these solutions along with prices on the touchscreen and PS3 /XBOX 360 powering on/off solution. Thanks again for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, you can use surveillance dvrs. Most are controlled by IR and Control4 sees it as a generic DVR (like your cable or satellite box). As long as it has a remote, it has the possibility of being controlled. Check with your dealer to see what they are familiar with.

Archived