C4 Forums | Control4

Leaf LUxxx to mix of TVs and A/V Receivers

pshrop

Will a TV receive and play sound when hooked up via BaseT to an LUxxx "non-D" matrix when the source audio is 5.1? Asked another way, will the TV downmix the 5.1 audio input to 2.0 and play the sound from the TV speakers? Or do I need to make sure the input into the TV is 2.0? If it matters, the TV is a 2016 Samsung KS 8000 series.

Reason I am asking is I'm looking at adding a non-D matrix to my setup that will distribute video to 3 A/V receivers (with TVs) and 1-2 TVs that are not hooked up to a/v systems (TV speakers only in bedrooms). I'm wondering if the absence of a/v systems necessitates an LUxxxD (or forfeiting surround sound).

Thank you

Understood on the lowest common denominator, although in this case (no D), I think it would potentially mean there’s no sound unless I downgrade the sound output from the C61K (Genie mini), or as you suggest, add an external down mixer. Samsung support told me over web chat today that my TV can downmix a 5.1 signal to 2.0 and play it out of the TV’s speakers, but I’m still a bit skeptical. When I tried to check with my existing mini setup (mini direct to TV via hdmi) I saw the TV could support “Dolby Audio”, but it’s not real clear to me what that is. 

Thanks for the response @Matt Lowe

Archived