C4 Forums | Control4

Question for the electrical guru's

A couple of recent power outages spurred me into buying a UPS today while at Best Buy. I didn't know which one to get, so I guessed:).

I am just wondering if what I got is big enough. It is 750 watts, 1285 AVR. I have connected:

two HC300's

one Media Controller

one Sony 777ES

one WRT54g

one SD2008 (linksys gigabit switch)

one vonage VOIP box

one cable modem (motorola surfboard)

one motorola cable box

one audio video matrix switch

one control4 8 zone amp

This is a geek squard brand UPS. I have never had a power outage last more than about 15 minutes, we are in a new area and all the power around here is underground so power outages are fairly rare.

Will this be adequate? If not, should I return it and buy a bigger one or just buy a second one of these?

Thanks!

Unfortunately you are underfunded for 15 minutes. For a similiar config I use the following (2000 watts):

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-ULT33046-2000-1200-Backup/dp/B000GC98H8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236919624&sr=8-2

and get about 15-20 minutes out of, not much more in price. More power is always better. My guess is in real world use you will get 5-7 minutes from this config. My experience with UPS' is to double what the ratings say you will need to make it really work in the real world.

Steve

I have connected:

two HC300's

one Media Controller

one Sony 777ES

one WRT54g

one vonage VOIP box

one motorola cable box

one control4 8 zone amp

There is no need to UPS protect all the equipment listed above. I would only UPS protect the equipment in bold. The rest should be on a surge protector.

I have connected:

two HC300's

one Media Controller

one Sony 777ES

one WRT54g

one vonage VOIP box

one motorola cable box

one control4 8 zone amp

There is no need to UPS protect all the equipment listed above. I would only UPS protect the equipment in bold. The rest should be on a surge protector.

Agreed.

Okay, with that being said, will the UPS I bought be enough to power the stuff that is in bold?

Also, I was surprised to see you left the 8 zone amp and audio video matrix switch off the list. Was that an oversight or do those items not need any protection?

Sounds good. I will plug the items in bold into the UPS, and simply connect the other stuff to my dynex surge protector.

Hopefully that one UPS I have will be enough to power the stuff that is in bold. If not, I guess I can always snag another one...it's just money, right?

Sounds good. I will plug the items in bold into the UPS, and simply connect the other stuff to my dynex surge protector.

Hopefully that one UPS I have will be enough to power the stuff that is in bold. If not, I guess I can always snag another one...it's just money, right?

While you're out at the money tree, send some my way :cool:

Archived