C4 Forums | Control4

Controller reboots randomly

My system was stable for a couple of months, at least as far as I could tell. Over the last month or two I have been having issues with my controller rebooting itself. It happens several times a day. Just about any time I pick up my remote it takes a minute to respond as though it was just reinitialized. Most of my issues started when I added some lighting, not sure why that would cause reboots. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Im running 1.7.1.290 connected via a netgear EoP to a Linksys WRT610. It is configured using static ip 192.168.1.251 HELP!!

I had a similar problem at one point. Basically my network got overloaded due to various multicasts and the ip's on the controllers kept changing. I segmented the network so that the C4 equipment is on a separate ip subnet and the problem went away. Not sure if yours is the same problem but you might want to give it a try.

It might be the fact that you're using a powerline extender. While it was mentioned as a possible way to hook up a network connection in Control4 training, it's definately not recommended or supported and was a "last ditch" option. Though I will admit that the devices have improved over the years. Might be worth testing without it if possible.

Ethernet over Power, not PoE(Power over Ethernet). Very different things. However, the particular piece that I use connects my Xbox360, as well as DirecTV, and previously a Vudu box all of which worked flawlessly. Streaming HD, playing games online all without so much as a hiccup.

Here is the adapter...

http://netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/XEB1004.aspx

I'll try subnetting it when I have a bit more time. I did try changing the DNS servers. I had previously been using the ISP DNS servers(Comcast). I have switched it to the router IP, and an openDNS. I'll report back to see if that helps.

• 4 years later...

Well, four years later... Although I had no idea what EoPL was at the time I do know now these things are vial as green slime on Halloween. They may get a particular job done but do it with total disregard for everything around them.

^It was strange that a search would not pull-up a post I remembered about these things. That one was probably only two years old :) They're still on the market and I wonder what impact they might have on a network if placed near a dirty motor. Mostly, I wonder about the health of C4 equipment relying on that same network.

Archived