C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Airport Express VPN setup

lkitz

Question

In order for my dealer to do remote programming, he said I have to set the internet up to allow him to use a VPN to access my system. Looked it up online and couldn't seem to find the help I was looking for. Anyone know how to allow a VPN connection for someone to remotely access my system? I am using an airport express as my router.

2 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, lkitz said:

In order for my dealer to do remote programming, he said I have to set the internet up to allow him to use a VPN to access my system. Looked it up online and couldn't seem to find the help I was looking for. Anyone know how to allow a VPN connection for someone to remotely access my system? I am using an airport express as my router.

I've never owned one of these routers but I highly recommend you NOT use it for your system at all.   Secondly, a dealer does not necessarily need VPN access to your existing system.  I'm going to assume you're trying to set up a new controller with a remote dealer or your controller needs the patch or its on a very old OS.

Start with a recommended router and/or switches.   Choose one that has VPN capabilities built in, if you really need it. There are plenty of discussions in this forum about networking gear that works well for Control4.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Apple Airport Express other than it's age and the fact Apple no longer makes these routers. It was on the approved list for years for small installations.  None of the Apple Airport routers have VPN capabilities FYI.

For remote access via Composer Pro, your dealer does not need a VPN connection. If he or she is doing something that requires "local" access e.g. registering a controller or discovering certain network-based devices, Hikvision and Unifi devices come to mind, then Teamviewer to a local PC on your network for a few minutes should be all that is required.

I am a big fan of the SnapAV / Araknis routers and they do have built-in VPN should that become necessary for you. 

Archived