C4 Forums | Control4

Programming to start Hulu Live and tune to a specific channel?

LollerAgent

Question

7 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

I use Hulu Live with a Roku Ultra.  Is there anyway to program the Roku to turn on, select Live TV and then select a specific channel?  I'm trying to tune to a specific channel as part of my "Good morning" routine.

only way is macros with up down left right (a start together - what game is that from?)

1 hour ago, LollerAgent said:

Contra? :)

contra is Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A I believe.

but yes with Hulu I do not think Hulu supports direct channel selection.  when the menu comes on I think its always on the 2nd line, so you would have to do a macro command to press up, then right 1-2x to get to live tv, then up again and left to get to "all channels" and then down to the specific channel.  so would be several lines of programming but I guess its possible.

4 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

contra is Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A I believe.

but yes with Hulu I do not think Hulu supports direct channel selection.  when the menu comes on I think its always on the 2nd line, so you would have to do a macro command to press up, then right 1-2x to get to live tv, then up again and left to get to "all channels" and then down to the specific channel.  so would be several lines of programming but I guess its possible.

Yeah - it's sort of janky.  I'm trying to make it work, but it's hit or miss.  I really wish Hulu supported this.

10 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

Yeah - it's sort of janky.  I'm trying to make it work, but it's hit or miss.  I really wish Hulu supported this.

I moved to Hulu maybe 4-6 weeks ago.  My wife is not thrilled with their live TV Guide (compared to normal Fios/Cable) or the inability to directly select a channel via traditional # inputs.  That said I found this article from January showing they hired someone from TiVO and they are revamping the Guide, so maybe more ability to go directly to a channel or do a "previous" button etc are not all that far off?

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/hulu-live-tv-guide-1203105083/

Hulu’s embrace of this more traditional interface isn’t just indicative of the company’s efforts to establish itself as an alternative to traditional cable TV. It also makes sense from a product leadership perspective, given that the company recently hired former TiVo executive Jim Denney as its new vice president of product.

Yeah - I read the same article and can't wait until that is available.  We are coming from Dish Network, so it's taking a bit of getting used to as well.  The ability to use traditional channel/up buttons and have a real guide will be very helpful.

Archived