C4 Forums | Control4

Dual Navigators and a degradation in response time throughout.

dinosaur

My dealer suggested that we use both my HC300 and my HC500 to have dual navigators instead of having "navigator collisions" when two TVs are using the Navigator at the same time. He set it up so that it made logical sense as best as he could (I have a matrix switch on my system).

The problem that occurred is that once the navigator was enabled on the HC500 (the HC300 was the only navigator prior to that), my system slowed down noticeably. I have a project that has around 30 dimmers, 4 switches, 10 keypads, audio switch, A/V switch, 12 rooms, 6 TVs, 4 thermostats, 3 touchscreens, 3 IP cameras, 6 remotes.

The dealer calls it a 'big project' and is recommending that I get an HC1000 (big bucks!). He said that because the HC500 was running both the Director and the Navigator it was the cause for the slow down. He said the HC1000 would be used as the Director and the other two controllers would be used as Navigators.

Any questions, suggestions or comments from the crowd?

An HC1000 is a great device, but if you were happy with the speed of the system before he enabled navigator on the HC500 I would simply revert back to the way it was before (I assume with the HC500 running director only) and add an HC200 ($399 retail) for the additional navigator.

Then you can add another 20 dimmers/switches or a pair on 7" touchpanels and a second HC200 with the money you saved.

An HC1000 is a great device, but if you were happy with the speed of the system before he enabled navigator on the HC500 I would simply revert back to the way it was before (I assume with the HC500 running director only) and add an HC200 ($399 retail) for the additional navigator.

The speed before the change was OK but nothing to write home about. After the change, the speed was intolerable. I may cough up the $3K for the HC1000 and then the dealer will have the HC300 and HC500 each run Navigator only with the HC1000 be the director.

Just don't tell my wife!!! :lol:

An HC1000 is a great device' date=' but if you were happy with the speed of the system before he enabled navigator on the HC500 I would simply revert back to the way it was before (I assume with the HC500 running director only) and add an HC200 ($399 retail) for the additional navigator.[/quote']

The speed before the change was OK but nothing to write home about. After the change, the speed was intolerable. I may cough up the $3K for the HC1000 and then the dealer will have the HC300 and HC500 each run Navigator only with the HC1000 be the director.

The HC1000 will speed up the project. If you went the route of adding the HC200 for the additional navigator then you would only see the speed you had before at best. If the speed before was less than ideal and you added another navigator, it sounds like an HC1000 is indeed your best bet.

An HC1000 is a great device' date=' but if you were happy with the speed of the system before he enabled navigator on the HC500 I would simply revert back to the way it was before (I assume with the HC500 running director only) and add an HC200 ($399 retail) for the additional navigator.[/quote']

The HC1000 will speed up the project. If you went the route of adding the HC200 for the additional navigator then you would only see the speed you had before at best. If the speed before was less than ideal and you added another navigator, it sounds like an HC1000 is indeed your best bet.

As I understand it, the HC1000 does not do Zigbee. So, I'm not clear on how it would speed up my project if it only does the IP side of the project.

To clarify, the HC1000 runs director but not navigator. It has an extremely fast processor and more memory ("5x the power of the first-gen controllers" - HTC and MC). There is a new training session online and whitepaper that your dealer should look at in regards to planning for "large scale" projects, that can maybe help him massage your project to its best potential.

With an HC1000, Zigbee would still be sent via the HC300 and HC500.

An HC1000 will speed up your project, everything that Cody and others have said is pretty much spot on. If you simply add an HC-200 as a Navigator device and you'll have the performance as you did before, but no better.

RyanE

Archived