C4 Forums | Control4

Universal Remote's PSX-2

OK, any dealers want to tell us what they think or know about this piece? Is it worthy of C4 integration or does it have anything new to the crowd of servers? Thanks.

**sorry no crack dealers need apply, just C4 dealers or power-users. Gotta be PC these days!**

On, a tangential subject, what would be the best way to educate ones self on the subject of ATV/Plex/MacMini usage in a C4 environment. I saw this comment and began to wonder...

Hi everyone -

I am hoping I can find some wisdom on these forums. I am new to here and a recent Mac convert with 1 MBP and 1 MB and Iphones in the house.

A little background: We have a house with 6 rooms with a home automation system called Control4 which does wireless Audio streaming and home automation in terms of remotes, lightning and audio storage. We have no integrated video streaming solution. Hence my look towards Apple TV (affordable solution).

Here is my goal: To replace all Control4 equipment and put an Apple TV in every room so that we can have audio video in each room by the user and also streamed from a central source if needed. Since there are local receivers and DVD players and TV in every room, I will use a Logitech remote to integrate all the components.

I am not too worried about the lightning as we are okay just leaving them alone. My biggest goal is for people to able to to listen to the music that they want easily and watch movies that I have downloaded anywhere in the house.

Early thoughts?

MY concerns:

1. Will Apple TV support HD over Component (I have no HDMI in the house).

2. Will HD support up to 1080p (at any point) - is the Apple TV strong enough?

3. Will the wireless network support multiple video streams if needed (I have two Wireless N routers across the house) (all rooms will be ethernet so I am guessing should be okay).

4. Can I use all the popular formats? MKV? AVI? DVDR? WMV?

5. If not, is it possible after hacking (is it a hard process)

6. Can I play one audio stream across multiple zones simultaneously with an Apple TV? If we are having a party, I need to play the same song in the living room and the family room (control 4 currently supports that).

I know some will say why remove Control4. Honestly, I see very little use for it other than integration of components and the audio piece. If I can replace 90% of these functions with an Apple TV and a Logitech remote, I would prefer it.

I know I have written a lot but would appreciate some honest thought out feedback. If anyone has done something like this, please contact me and would love to chat.

Thanks

Sounds to me like he needs a dealer that knows what he is doing. Everything he wants to do can easily be accomplished with Control4....it may take some third party products but it would be a hell of a lot better than what he is after.

Archived