C4 Forums | Control4

Controller not identifiable/discoverable

We are trying to get an HC-300 up and running, and Controller cannot identify it, nor is it discoverable on the local network.

When the device is powered on and connected to the local network, the Ethernet jack has a steady orange light and shows network activity on the green light, yet the device remains undiscoverable on the network.

Neither System Manager or Composer can see the controller at all, even when we go through the identification routine, the device doesn't seem to want to talk.

If anyone can provide some guidance on how to go about assigning a static IP address to the HC-300, we'd greatly appreciate it. Or, if there is another procedure or detail that we're missing here, any thoughts/tips would be appreciated!

What would be the next step if a "Restore" stick failed to activate upon cycling the unit?

Ethernet link will not connect and therefore not pingable with my PC.

IP address has been entered using the front LCD display.

I have no remote control on this unit.

It is a version 1 from the back of an old installers closet/garage sale.

What would be the next step if a "Restore" stick failed to activate upon cycling the unit?

You are obviously not talking about an HC300, what controller are you talking about? I would assume a media controller.

You should probably start a seperate thread because this is a completely different issue.

Rob: check out the latter part of this thread:

http://c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=3358

We recently ran into a similar issue, and it was in large part due to the fact that Director had stored a static IP address with DHCP disabled, so it was invisible on the local network except by pinging the actual address.

A few things that worked for us as we were troubleshooting the issue:

1) Make sure your dealer runs the USB Restore process while the controller is connected to a display of some sort. A computer monitor would do...anything that will give you additional feedback and insight into what is happening on the device.

2) Take note of whatever MAC address and IP address the device displays during the boot process

3) If that IP address is not showing up on your network, it helps to do a DHCP Release/Renew on your router to reset how the IP addresses are assigned. It could be, as was the case with our setup, that the router had already reached the maximum number of allowable DHCP connections, and was just refusing to assign one to the Controller.

It sounds like you might be trying to run 1.6+ on first-gen controllers which isn't 100% supported. That or the unit is busted which may be why it was in their closet/garage sale :/

Please start a new thread. I'll post in it there' date=' but it sounds like you might be trying to run 1.6+ on first-gen controllers which isn't 100% supported.[/quote']

FYI - I run 1.7.3.20 on a media controller and it works great. Granted it isn't running director, just serving up my audio files.

Please start a new thread. I'll post in it there' date=' but it sounds like you might be trying to run 1.6+ on first-gen controllers which isn't 100% supported.[/quote']

FYI - I run 1.7.3.20 on a media controller and it works great. Granted it isn't running director, just serving up my audio files.

FYI - that's why I said not 100% compatible. So since you brought it up anyway and this isnt in a new thread but has been discussed in several places anayway....:P

HTC/MC controllers can not be used as master controllers / stand-alone controllers in projects with 1.6 or later. They can be secondary controllers running navigator or zserver, but not director. You need an HC-class controller to do so.

The OP didnt indicate whether they had any other controllers in the project, so short of it being a bad unit/bad restore stick/user performing upgrade instead of a dealer that's what I would start troubleshooting.

Sorry for redirecting the thread. I thought we were on the same subject.

I have not heard that the MC cannot be a master. I currently have a MC ver 1 and a HTC ver 1 on my home system. Both are on latest firmware version. MC is running Director. I believe that is what you call the program that is running. But I can start a new thread in ref to this issue for more responses if I need to.

Glad to see s1gnal got his issue resolved. Ain't it great when you get a solution to a hair puller?

Oh good, so you got that working?

Yup...many thanks to you for the guidance there!

While it was ultimately a networking issue, we had been rebooting the machine over and over thinking we resetting the networking settings when in fact the USB restore was the only thing that would truly wipe the slate clean.

Archived