C4 Forums | Control4

One keypad button controlling multiple lights

I have several rooms that have a KD120 that have both lamps and cans.  We primarily use the lamps for light in these rooms, but also occasionally use lamps+cans.  I'm trying to only use one button for all lights on the keypad, but I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to handle this.

Currently - if you hit the button once, the lamps come on.  If you hit the button a second time (not double tap), the lamps+cans come on (using a count variable to determine current state).  I'm finding that this isn't always intuitive to people other than myself (like my wife).  Additionally, there isn't a way to dim the lights in this config (which isn't a deal-breaker, but it would be nice).  Does anyone have any suggestions on better ways to handle this with a single keypad button?

I was considering:

Single tap: lamps
Double tap: lamps+lights

To turn the lights off, I was thinking a single tap (if the lights were already on) - but this is where it starts to get confusing and I'm not quite sure how to program this.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  For what it's worth, here are the buttons that I have on this keypad:

BUTTON1: Lights
BUTTON2: Goodnight
BUTTON3: Shades
BUTTON4: Room Control (for music)
BUTTON5: All off (room off)
UP/DOWN: Volume

You are right - people expect on/off with a button - not on/on more/off,

but if you and your family are the only ones who will use the lights, then do what suits you best!

I have this same thing programmed on a six button in my lounge - single button will turn on or off all the 4 loads of entrance lights.

If any of the four lights are on, then a click turns them off, 
if none are on, then a click turns them all on.

You could have push and hold ramp the lights up/down - you would probably need a boolean variable to toggle between ramp up/ramp down

I stay away from the single tap/double tap - as the response time is too slow.

For your programming - set up an advanced lighting scene containing your cans and lamp only, have the scene with these lights off/0%
This way you can program your button click to simply check the state of this lighting scene with one if statement.
You can also make this scene invisible to your remotes/apps if you don't want to see it as an option.

40 minutes ago, brucecampbell said:

For your programming - set up an advanced lighting scene containing your cans and lamp only, have the scene with these lights off/0%
This way you can program your button click to simply check the state of this lighting scene with one if statement.
You can also make this scene invisible to your remotes/apps if you don't want to see it as an option.

Thanks for the reply, but, sorry - not quite following this.  Still not seeing how I can control the cans and lamps separately.  Most of the time, I only want the lamps.  Sometimes I want the lamps+cans.  Right now I have three advanced lighting scenes (Lamps, Lamps+Cans, Off). 

Sorry - the lighting scene with the cans and lamps at 0% would be useful as a check if any light is on, so you can program with a single line but there are many options available:

how about something simple like this:

Upon button click:   
   if Cans are Off
       ramp cans 100%
       stop
   if lamps are off
       ramps lamps 100%
       stop
   ramp cans 0%
   ramp lamps 0%

You could then get creative and instead of ramping each dimmer - you could instead use lighting scenes and activate them instead.
You could then have a different light level in each scene and choose the appropriate scene base on time of day.
For instance - my welcome home lights are most circuits to 100% before 10pm, if later I just have dim light to so as not to trigger the hangover early...

51 minutes ago, brucecampbell said:

Upon button click:   
   if Cans are Off
       ramp cans 100%
       stop
   if lamps are off
       ramps lamps 100%
       stop
   ramp cans 0%
   ramp lamps 0%

This would turn both the lamps+cans on with a single click (if they are off), right?  I really only want to turn the lamps on with a single click.  Was trying to figure out a creative way to incorporate "lamps only" and "lamps+cans."  Guess I could just do a double-tap for lamps+cans.

If you want lamps only, or lamps and cans, or all off, then reverse the sequence I had:

Upon button click:   
   if lamps are off
       ramps lamps 100%
       stop
   if Cans are Off

ramp cans 100%
       stop
   ramp cans 0%
   ramp lamps 0%

Of course you do have the single tap/ double tap option - but like I said earlier - I avoid these due to the delay built in - I want lights to turn on immediately, not a second or two after I hit a button.

The above code would never allow cans to come on unless lamps are already on.
Also, if you ever turn cans on via another source, lamps would still come on with a button click and leave cans on too.

I suggest have a play and see what suits you.

Archived