C4 Forums | Control4

Ipod/Itouch Software for C4

Don't you just love Apple (to the core)- $99 for what people paid $400 for not too long ago... Anyways, as soon as my wife buys me a cell phone, I'm all over this software. So, that's $300+$100=$400. OK, maybe not...

I HATE and DESPISE anything AT&T so I went with the Touch. I assume the software and experience are the exact same as the iphone. Does anyone know when the new touches based off the new iphones (V3) will debut?

Thanks Everyone!!!!

I read on cnet news that the mew phones are due out the week of june 22 and the updated software for the current phones and touches is due this wednesday ( june 17 ) Iphone update is free and itouch update is 9.95 thru the app store

I read on cnet news that the mew phones are due out the week of june 22 and the updated software for the current phones and touches is due this wednesday ( june 17 ) Iphone update is free and itouch update is 9.95 thru the app store

The 3G phones have a street date of 6/19.

I've heard some negative comments about using the iPod Touch and the C4 navigation software. Apparently, people are having issues with the wifi connection getting dropped and a nuisance getting things up and running again after each drop.

I'd like to hear more comments before plunking down the bucks for this toy.

I've heard some negative comments about using the iPod Touch and the C4 navigation software. Apparently, people are having issues with the wifi connection getting dropped and a nuisance getting things up and running again after each drop.

I'd like to hear more comments before plunking down the bucks for this toy.

That part is true from my experience. I have my iPhone set to screen save / lock after 30 sec or a minute, and every time it does the wireless needs to reconnect, which can often take up to another minute to get it reconnected. Once its connected, its fine. That is more of an Apple issue than C4s - Apple doesn't allow programs to run in background or during sleep, so it needs to keep reconnecting. I'd be happy if that connection process got faster.

That said, I am way satisfied despite this issue. I don't use it for everyday TV watching or navigation - the on-screen interface/remote and touchpads are much better for that. The iPhone is nice if I am out in my backyard and want to pick the next album, or if I am sitting on the couch and want to look at the IP cam to check on the baby without switching off the TV or walking over to a touchpad. Or to secretly change the room temperature without my wife noticing. Because I often walk around the house with my phone at my side or in a pocket, its almost always there.

If you are thinking about a 7" touchpad vs the iPhone app, I think the dedicated touchpad will win every time. That said, the touchpad costs $1000 more than the iPhone app, so its not a fair comparison in my view. Also, the iPhone app in my view is no substitute for the handheld remotes in terms of convenience of TV watching and on-screen navigation.

Just an FYI on iPod / iPhone

I have the original 2G Apple iPhone and just started a 30 day trial to see how it works as a touch screen controller.

I went to AT&T today as I am thinking of going to the 3G S iPhone just released.

My question to them was if I took the sim card out of my old 2g iPhone would it still work as an iPod / C4 controller.

His immediate thought was no.

BUT... we tried it and it said there was no sim but all the other functions worked. You just lose cell phone functions.

I then went home and powered down my iPhone, took out the sim card and powered it back up. Of course I got the no sim card message

but every thing else worked. I was able to connect to the wifi network, and control4 system. iPod features worked and so did the internet, etc.

SOOOOO... if you have and old iPhone it can still be used as a touch screen controller if you upgrade a new iPhone and move the sim card over.

(BIG NOTE BEFORE TRYING THIS I HAD DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED 3.0 VERSION OF SOFTWARE JUST RELEASED YESTERDAY)

Sort of like getting a free touch screen device ... :D:D

Archived