C4 Forums | Control4

Best program to rip cd's to external hard drive connected to HC-300

I am in the process of ripping my cd collection to a USB Western Digital 320GB hard drive connected to my HC-300.

I disconnect the hard drive and plug it directly to my laptop and rip mp3's from the cd's using Windows Media Player. I then replug the hard drive back into the HC-300 to scan the media, and then refresh the navigators to make sure new music is available.

This process works fine, however is time consuming. Is there a software other than Windows Media Player to rip cd's to mp3's faster?? It seems to take about 5 minutes give or take to rip a cd. This is taking a long time.

I buy music off EBay in lots of 50-100 cds. I've mapped the external drive on the C4 system to every pc and laptop in the house. When I am doing paperwork I rip the cd's with Windows media player (the speed of the rip is partly dependent on the quality of the drive - so I use an external Sony cd player) when the cd pops out - I put in the next one. mindless work accompanying paperwork (also mindless work). Mapping the drives to the kids laptops allow them to put any music on the "system" that they want! Then when their friends are over - they don't have to ask dad to import anything.

This is why I love still having my old school media controller around. It has a CD-ROM drive that you pop a disc in and it will "back it up" for you, find the album art and info, and put it right into your library.

Why they got rid of this on the newer controllers I have no idea.

I can not map to the HC-300 and the attached USB hard drive. I do not see the HC-300 in my network connections.

I do have a work group name for my network, and those computers appear on the network, but I did not see a place to enter that group name in the HC-300.

I can use the IP address of the controller and ping the HC-300 receiving a returned response and also using IE or Foxfire get to the index of the controller. So it is there.

I can also see the address of/and the HC300 controller listed in my routers DHCP Client List.

But I can not see it on any computer in my house. Any suggestions/help?

Okay ... with a little research I found that on the laptop I have been using to rip the CDs I did not have file and printer sharing checked as allowed in windows firewall. I also entered my work group name correctly on this laptop.

I can now see all other computers in the work group AND the Control4 controller and have mapped the USB attached hard drive to this computer. So will try a test rip to see if it works.

Will edit this post to let you know.

EDIT: S U C C E S S

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it might be best to add to this thread. If there's information elsewhere please let me know.

I just purchased a Buffalo Link Station Pro (550Gig) to add to my network and plan to rip all my Sony777 CDs onto it so I can start using all the Digital Audio features. I'm just getting familiar with our C4 HC300 system so I have a few questions.

1. I plan to network the drive, not USB connect to the HC. Is there a short guide on how to get this setup (I know I have to reformat it as FAT32)

2. What's the best way to rip CDs to it, over the network (I got the C4 Easy Formatter) or directly from a PC

3. My primary computer is a MAC. Since this is a long process is there any way to rip the CDs from a MAC to the network drive?

4. I'd also like to move my iTunes downloads to the new drive. I've seen some references in other threads to this so is there a way to share the iTunes library and get everyting into MP3 format?

Ok, I figured out how to export the iTunes to mp3, now is there a way to batch copy over the network to the FAT32 drive?

thanks!

Archived