C4 Forums | Control4

Scratchy audio from Control4 music in all rooms

I have a nice system with Control4 HC 300's and 1000's and Cotrol4 Multi Channel Amp and Multi tuner with the appropriate Monster Power Home Theater power center pieces. Also a Key Digital 8 to 4 HDTV Matrix Switcher. I am running my music off of Control4 media edition. No problems until today when I notice very scratchy audio when I play music in any room. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I think the controllers to reboot would be the 300's, since they're the audio client controllers.

The HC1000 doesn't do audio out, so rebooting it wouldn't reset any audio output hardware, which would be why you would reset gear.

Plugging is typically a safe reboot, but if you're a dealer, you would usually telnet onto the box, and issue the 'reboot' command, which does a safe shutdown first. I think unplugging the 300's is going to be even safer, since they don't have a HD to have to fsck when it comes up.

RyanE

• 2 weeks later...

I have been experiencing the same problem for the last week. I have an HC 300, an audio matrix switch and two multi channel amps. Because the the music is scratchy in multiple rooms through each of the amps (and I have unplugged and restarted them without stopping the music) and the music still sounds like a poorly tuned radio station - I have deduced it is not the amp. I did the same with the audio matrix switch - still no positive change. Next I unplugged the cables between the HC300 and the audio matrix switch (with the music still keyed up and playing) and it still sounded bad. My music is on an external hard drive attached to a pc. I put headphones in the pc jack and verified that this is not the cause of the poor audio. Rebooting the HC 300 didn't work - but turning off the whole system for three hours has fixed the problem (I suspect temporarily). I suspect the problem is with the HC 300.

Any other ideas? The HC 300 is a little over one year old - and I am planning on calling in my dealer - I hope they equipment capable of evaluating the unit.

I will check that - the whole system has worked like a champ for the past year - in fact - I hadn't pulled either rack out for a couple of months. Last night things sounded great, but this AM - when I entered my office (music on, lights up) it is scratchy again. I left a message with the dealer yesterday - so once the problem is diagnosed and fixed, I will report back. Thanks for the thoughts.

Sorry for the confusion - Every morning the office light comes up to 50% and the music comes up to 8% at 5:30AM. This has worked well for 6 months+. The scratchy music occurs in every zone (all 14) whether lights are on or not - including all the outside zones (for what that is worth). I've scheduled a checkup - sadly it will not occur until 08/05. On the flip side - it is worth waiting for this specific tech - as he did a great job programming the system last summer when my original dealer went under.

Archived