C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless Contact Sensor (CardAcces WCS10A) Water Probe?

turls

Problem is that water probe as a term tends to be used for multiple things.

But to make sure - you do NOT mean a FLOW sensor that gets installed on a pipe, but a sensor that is mounted at floor level?

In that case, ANY sensor will basically do, they're just two contacts that that 'short' when water is between them. Heck you could technically put two wire leads on the floor and create one - you just use a 'sensor' because it's nice and easy to install in a way that doesn't get easily messed up (ie the cat moves the wires).

Any local security supplier will have contacts lying around, and I'm sure Amazon could have one delivered by tomorrow for under $20.

Here's one from Amazon Canada as an example of what you're looking for:

https://www.amazon.ca/Level-Sense-2600-Sensor-Detection/dp/B015P9M7KQ/ref=sr_1_33?gclid=CjwKCAiAmNbwBRBOEiwAqcwwpfFlIh0pZKqjZU5uL35SMWD-X_T8MjGKZ_5q5xq6pgx4siXIZHbqcRoCLooQAvD_BwE&hvadid=208384043485&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9061281&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15187548073298260248&hvtargid=kwd-297218884289&hydadcr=23343_9622023&keywords=water+sensor&qid=1578541839&sr=8-33

Thanks Cyknight, that's the type of sensor I was finding in my search but it looks nothing like the ones being used around my house (see picture), so I wasn't sure how picky this particular component was, plus the one you linked to seems like overkill compared to the basic one I have.  Like you say, it could just be a homemade pair of wires.

IMG_0422.JPEG

? How high up is that sensor installed? That looks like it'll require several inches of water before going off...

Unless you're more looking for high humidity (ie causing a film on the sensor which then causes the 'short' that triggers it)?

At any rate - the C4/Card Access piece isn't picky at all, it's quite basic - there's a closed loop or there isn't. The only one you need to watch are 'powered' or lighted devices (most basic example a lighted doorbell) what have a trickle coming through at all times as this can cause false readings.

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

? How high up is that sensor installed? That looks like it'll require several inches of water before going off...

Unless you're more looking for high humidity (ie causing a film on the sensor which then causes the 'short' that triggers it)?

At any rate - the C4/Card Access piece isn't picky at all, it's quite basic - there's a closed loop or there isn't. The only one you need to watch are 'powered' or lighted devices (most basic example a lighted doorbell) what have a trickle coming through at all times as this can cause false readings.

Yeah, it has been long enough ago I don't remember why the dealer left it there.  It's basically a spare right now as far as I can tell.  I only needed one probe in that location, and that unused probe was in a better location to get a good picture...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.