C4 Forums | Control4

What WIRE to use?

rf9000

All,

Buying some wire and just want to get opinions on best type:

Cat6 vs Cat6 vs Cat6 shielded - I qa panning on wiring everything like TVs, POE cameras, POE blinds, touch screens, etc with Cat6. But would Cat6a be better or is Cat6a only need if runs are like 200+ ft? I see some installers one run shielded Cat6 to TV locations. What is the purpose of this? Do I need shielded anywhere?

22/4 and 22/2 for alarm: Same question, do I need shielded?

Cat6a is the way to go for network and video. This will also require the proper keystones.
For touchscreens cat5e is more than enough. Same for control wires. You might be surprised by how devices still use 10/100 cards.
Very rarely is there a point for shielded security wire.
You may want to hire a consultant at the very least to lay this out
I would personally consider fiber for video and data as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, SouthernSmarthome said:

Cat6a is the way to go for network and video. This will also require the proper keystones.
For touchscreens cat5e is more than enough. Same for control wires. You might be surprised by how devices still use 10/100 cards.
Very rarely is there a point for shielded security wire.
You may want to hire a consultant at the very least to lay this out
I would personally consider fiber for video and data as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. But do the Cat6a cables use different ends then the Cat6? And if so, they still plug into a regular RJ45 jack, right?

13 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Yes, I know this, but was specifically asking because they use thicker wire and was wondering if the Rj45 ends are harder to put on?

Also, because when I look at buying the Cat6a wire it all says 23AWG, the same as Cat6, so its confusing

The differences are typically individual wire gauge, jacket thickness and the tightness of pair twist increases each step up.

With 6 there is a center spline to keep each pair in geometry. With 6a the spline twists too. With 7 the pairs are shielded as well as the overall cable.

Each step up makes the cable thicker, larger bend radius, higher costs. Each step up brings higher bandwidth, IF properly terminated.

Regardless they all terminate in a RJ45, the actual connector is built specific to the cable type it's going onto.

Shielding keeps out exterior noise. Most typical in our applications would be for video. Another different RJ45 connector to include the shield in the termination process.

As to what you should run, consultation is recommended. Shielded for a shade, not likely advantages, 5's enough. For an access point maybe, for video yes probably a good idea. The disadvantage to the wrong choice for an application; higher wiring costs in materials, bend allocation, securing the cables and extended termination costs in parts and labor. And, keep in mind, any step in improper installation by a kink, laborer stepping on it during installation, compression attaching it, tight bend, bad practice putting on the end, wrong parts; will result in lost bandwidth.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.