C4 Forums | Control4

Optimum system layout

All,

I have been lurking on these boards for some time and I have learned a lot about the control4 system.

However, I have not seen a lot of discussion on system architecture

I purchased my original system 3 years ago and have expanded it some since then. I have become unhappy with the performance of the system and would like to increase performance.

Base equipment (circa 2006)

media controller (3600+ songs loaded)

audio amp 8 zone

GE concord security

three tv's connected to Dish network receivers controlled through system

50+ switches dimmers outlets

one 10" screen

one 3.5" screen

2 handheld remotes

Yamaha receiver

and a Media center PC

I am considering adding a home theater room as well as 2 stats (when I can get them to work (see frustrated thread) soon. I am also looking at adding more switches/dimmers/outlets as well as various other toys.

I have seen some posts reference multiple controllers in systems. What is the benefit? what models would be recommended for performance and cost effectiveness?

I appreciate your input

^How so? I mean, he is asking about multiple controllers. So aside from your 200 recommendation, how does a 500 give optimal service?

Well, firstly it's an improvement over the media controller by way of upgraded SoC alone, and will allow him to run later software versions beyond 1.6 easily and be able to try Rhapsody.

Also, it's been said that the HC500 can use the hard drive for a "page file" to increase performance slightly, but it still will not be on par with the HC1000v2.

thecodeman,

Do I understand your recommendation, you would suggest that I add a HC500 for the zigbee mesh and director, then a HC200 for navigator. if That is correct, then do I add the HC200 for the home theater room? What would the current media controller do?

Sorry brianM it was your recommendation. Am I clear on what you intended?

That sounds like what he's recommending. You can keep your existing Media Controller and use it for Navigator and Zigbee only in one of the rooms - you could also keep media on it as well. Of course, you can still use its inputs/outputs/contacts/relays, etc, so it's not a total loss even though it's no longer the "brain" of the project.

Archived