C4 Forums | Control4

Texecom Premier (48); rs232 connection lost since C4 OS v3

Hello,

I have a Texecom Premier 48, which was connected to my Control4 (via "rs232 connection"?). I could access my alarm panel via my C4 app, and had some switches programmed to arm my alarm. However, since the update from Control4 OS v2 to v3, I have lost this connection / functionality (my dealer gave it a go, managed to re-add the alarm panel to my app, but couldn't get it to connect (it just shows as 'offline' within the C4 app).

My dealer has since advised that I need to purchase the Texecom Smartcom (£170 fitted), plus the Texecom ComIP (plus another £115). It's pretty disappointing to have to spend another ~£300 to keep my alarm connected to C4. 

Can I enquire if there has been (or if there will be) any updates to this "rs232 connection" / Texecom driver(s) that would enable me to reconnect my Texecom Premier 48 (without the need to purchase the Smartcom and ComIP)?

Much appreciated,

Mat.

Hi Gary,

I’ve done extensive Integration work with this driver And can confirm it works well. The original company who developed it no longer exists and the next company in Ireland who updated it are no longer doing so as no one is paying them. I did arrange to get some updates done 18 months ago for a bug fix but that’s it. 

It’s disappointing to hear your dealer got you to buy a smart com and com ip as the smart com isn’t needed to make it work. The IP driver works well albeit a bit clunky. 

I wrote the guide on the C4 support page.

We’ve tested the IP driver with the latest version 5 firmware and it works well. 

ive never done an RS232 version but I can assure you it works well through a com IP. I’d be happy to give it 20 minutes looking at your existing install remotely but that would mean changing your dealer of record to us. You can change it back again after  

sorry for the short hand message  typed this out on my phone  

On 6/7/2020 at 11:44 PM, PHILIP1193 said:

Hi Gary,

I’ve done extensive Integration work with this driver And can confirm it works well. The original company who developed it no longer exists and the next company in Ireland who updated it are no longer doing so as no one is paying them. I did arrange to get some updates done 18 months ago for a bug fix but that’s it. 

It’s disappointing to hear your dealer got you to buy a smart com and com ip as the smart com isn’t needed to make it work. The IP driver works well albeit a bit clunky. 

I wrote the guide on the C4 support page.

We’ve tested the IP driver with the latest version 5 firmware and it works well. 

ive never done an RS232 version but I can assure you it works well through a com IP. I’d be happy to give it 20 minutes looking at your existing install remotely but that would mean changing your dealer of record to us. You can change it back again after  

sorry for the short hand message  typed this out on my phone  

Hi Philip,

Thanks very much for the above advice. Thankfully I hadn't made any purchases yet, so I was able to go back to my dealer to clarify.

Apparently my dealer did know this - it was just a case of miscommunication.  He did mentioned that the ComIP alone would work, but the trade off of not also having the Smartcom is that any alerts would come through Control4 push notifications (via 4Sight) only, and no longer through the alarm (via text), but I would be happy with that. It's a shame that the RS232 is no longer supported, as this worked well and also allowed the alarm to still send SMS messages (in addition to the Control4 push notifications). Apparently Texecom have been promising to make their own driver for this for many years now.

Thanks very much for your clarifications & advise.

Mat.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:18 PM, Gary Leeds UK said:

We have smartcom only on our panel and use wireless ip connection. 

this means we can only  use c4 to Control the texecom alarm 

Thanks, Gary.  Does this mean you have no rs232 or Com-IP, but you can still connect the Smartcom to Control4? Do you have any guide that you can share on your set-up? Many thanks, Mat.

Hi Matt,

Glad they got you sorted out.

You can get still get text messages, they need to go via a SMS module texecom do (i think its called a COM-GSM). This can be online the same time as the COM-IP. It just uses a different com port on the alarm system.

We have an O2 pay as you go sim fitted at our showroom for this exact reason, so that if the internet connection went down or it was maliciously cut we get notifications.

The Module isn't that cheap though so i'd only recommend it if you really need a back up solution.

3 hours ago, Mat Carey said:

Thanks, Gary.  Does this mean you have no rs232 or Com-IP, but you can still connect the Smartcom to Control4? Do you have any guide that you can share on your set-up? Many thanks, Mat.

Mat Correct 

SmartCom connects via IP to control4 - Need to use driver version 18 Texecom (Network) however you will not be able to use the Texecom App -My dealer just put in the

Smartcom IP address and bobs your uncle it worked. 

Our Smartcom connects to the network via WiFi 

We program Notification etc from the Alarm so need for Text Messages etc 

The smartcom allows you to have the Texecom app too. 

I have a few clients with a smartcom linked into C4 via IP and they have the Texecom app too. 

I have the smart com connected via an ethernet cable, probably doesn't make the slightest of difference in regards to the app. 

Thanks 

M

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.