C4 Forums | Control4

Dropped Remote... Ops!

csmpez

I dropped my SRC1-B remote on our marble surround by our fireplace and the damn thing broke. I can't believe these things are that fragile. Anyway, I ended up seeing a new one on ebay and picked it up. I didn't realize that the remote had to be programmed... thought it was just like the others... push the red "4" in the middle and it would initialize and sync with the system. Guess not. Can anyone here lend a hand? I just need to sync up the new remote to our system. Thanks. :D

Scott

The v.1 remotes were a bit fragile, this was much improved in the v.2 and especially in the SR-250 remotes.

You need to have the remote 'identified', which is the process of associating the physical hardware of a device with the driver for that device.

Your dealer can do that remotely, if you have remote access turned on.

The system may also have to be updated, if the firmware of the remote is newer than the firmware of the system. The system will typically only update devices' firmware *forward*, not backwards.

RyanE

Funny you say that csmpez. My 14 month old son recently dropped one of my SR-250's from the second story of my house, down to the first story. The distance between the two floors is about 12 feet, and the floor it fell onto is hardwood. The room it feel into has some rugs, and also two chairs, a couch and an ottoman, as well as some wood tables. I don't think it hit any furniture on the way down, but it could have landed on a rug. When I got down to it I saw it lying on the hardwood and was sure it was broken. The remote works fine. It has a slight rattle in the top section, but further investigation revealed that all my remotes have that same rattle.

Do all remotes rattle (slight rattle, hold your head close to the top and shake it a little) or are my kids just extremely hard on mine having caused this problem in all of them already?

EDIT: To fix typo.

Do all remotes rattle (slight rattle, hold your head close to the top and shake it a little) or are my kids just extremely hard on mine having caused this problem in all of them already?

The rattle is the ball cage sensor in the SR-250 used to sense motion.

The rattle is the ball cage sensor in the SR-250 used to sense motion.

That makes sense. I didn't know if they used a ball cage sensor or an accelerometer.

Thanks for the info.

The ball cage uses less power than an accelerometer. For the remote power saving is king. Additionally there is no need to know how fast or in which direction the remote moves, just need to know that it has moved.

Think about how fun it would be to program sounds/event to trigger based on movement of the SR-250. Sword clashing sounds while swinging left to right, swipe up turn on the lights, swipe down to turn off.

Obviously you would need some sort of button on the back to hold down while making these gestures, otherwise you would have crazy stuff happening all the time.

I don't know where the he*l all this came from, so sorry for the strange random post. I need to go get some sleep.

The v.1 remotes were a bit fragile, this was much improved in the v.2 and especially in the SR-250 remotes.

You need to have the remote 'identified', which is the process of associating the physical hardware of a device with the driver for that device.

Your dealer can do that remotely, if you have remote access turned on.

The system may also have to be updated, if the firmware of the remote is newer than the firmware of the system. The system will typically only update devices' firmware *forward*, not backwards.

RyanE

My system is updated to 1.7. The remote is brand new, so I'm not sure what firmware is loaded on the remote (would there be any?). Funny that there's still new V1 remotes out there. I do have remote access turned on, so I'll give the dealer a call. Thanks!

I'll have to give one of those SR-250s a try... two stories and on hardwood floor, pretty durable. My remote fell 2 feet and it was trashed.

'New' v.1 remotes mean ones that were never opened or never used, like a dealer got several controllers for a project, and didn't use the remotes that came with it.

I'm pretty sure Control4 does not still sell v.1 or v.2 remotes, and only has SR-250 and SR-150 remotes available, so any of those 'new' ones aren't really 'new'.

What this means for warranty of those replacements, I couldn't tell you.

RyanE

'New' v.1 remotes mean ones that were never opened or never used, like a dealer got several controllers for a project, and didn't use the remotes that came with it.

I'm pretty sure Control4 does not still sell v.1 or v.2 remotes, and only has SR-250 and SR-150 remotes available, so any of those 'new' ones aren't really 'new'.

What this means for warranty of those replacements, I couldn't tell you.

RyanE

Understandable... I didn't think C4 still sold the V1 or V2 remotes, just that this one was never used. I like it because the keys glow in the dark and I can see what I'm hitting. As for the warranty on the remote, that really doesn't bother me considering what I paid for it. :D

Scott

If you like to use the remote in the dark you MUST get an SR150 or SR250...the keys have backlighting.

There is no comparison of the new remotes to the V1 and V2. That is why you got that remote for ~$25 never used.

Archived