C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee Pro rollout-Software upgrade

pbels

That again doesnt quite hit the point Im trying to make.... This isnt a question of someone who purchased a while ago and needs to make a decision on whether to upgrade or keep what he/she has, this is a question of full disclosure to customers purchasing in the timeframe between when a 'big' update is known to be coming and when it gets released. This usually isnt a problem because hardware specs tend to precede software when it comes to computers, and then software developers spend the next year or two trying to use up every bit of hardware power until upgraded hardware is needed.

How about we phrase it a different way:

What is an appropriate advance time frame to mandate that dealers inform their customers that a hardware purchase they make may or may not be compatible with a known upcoming software update?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... and if 'mandate' is too strong a word, then how about 'As a dealer in what time frame do you feel it is your moral responsibility to let your customers know that said hardware may not work or take full advantage of an upcoming software update.'

I don't think anyone knows this answer yet - as the software is still in Alpha form... when it goes into beta, they'll start to get a better idea what will and will not work. Then they try to fix that as well (I'm pulling from the 1.6 beta where it was thought everyone would have to upgrade to new hardware - and in the end - NO hardware upgrade was required). So give it time and let's see. You're talking about a product that is still quite a few months away (at the soonest)!

I don't think anyone knows this answer yet - as the software is still in Alpha form... when it goes into beta, they'll start to get a better idea what will and will not work. Then they try to fix that as well (I'm pulling from the 1.6 beta where it was thought everyone would have to upgrade to new hardware - and in the end - NO hardware upgrade was required). So give it time and let's see. You're talking about a product that is still quite a few months away (at the soonest)!

Bump

I think it is important to note though that if you bought a computer six months before MS Vista was launched there was no guarantee that it would run Vista. The same holds true here. The 1.8/2.0 upgrade is NOT mandatory, however if you would like to have the upgrade then you need to make sure that your hardware can support it, no different than if you upgraded from XP to Vista.

Archived