C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee Pro rollout-Software upgrade

pbels

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is once pro comes out, we may see expanded product compatability

I am looking forward to the energy module and the door locks and genereal interest in whatever else may come with it

popcorn effect... when you turn of multiple lights with one command, but instead of all of them going off instantaneously, they go off in a delayed effect... one then another then another then another .. like popcorn pops not all the kernels at once.

1.8 is NOT intended to be an update... matter of fact it will break things (v1, v2 remotes, Card Access devices etc...) - 2.0 is to be considered the upgrade product. So unless you have a "NEED" right away for 1.8 - it's best to wait for 2.0. If your a new install - then yes, 1.8 is the way to go.

Will v1, v2 remotes, Card Access devices get firmware updates to work w/ 1.8 or do we just wait for 2.0?

Please, wait for 2.0. We will not be upgrading any of our customers to 1.8 that we do not feel can benefit from the lighting improvement that cannot wait for 2.0. As Shawn has said, there are a number of devices that will not have support in 1.8 (they will effectively break), but will work correctly in 2.0.

On top of that the Card Access Motion sensors and contact switches are going to need hardware upgrades and hence all will need swap outs at significant cost.

Is this true for 2.0 as well?

Yes this is also true for 2.0 since it will be ZigBee PRO

On top of that the Card Access Motion sensors and contact switches are going to need hardware upgrades and hence all will need swap outs at significant cost.

At some point all hardware becomes obsolete. TVs, DVDs and computers all have useful lifetimes and need to be replaced as hardware and software advances. If you want to run the newest version of Windows you might need to upgrade your hardware. C4 is no different. If you want to run the newest software you might need to upgrade your hardware. Your existing C4 system will work as it has with the current software version.

so we can assume all new hardware will be zigbee pro or will it be compatible with our older hardware (HC300)??

?? Any hardware sold *directly from Control4 to the dealer* after the 1.8 release will have zigbee pro. Now there's still a ton of inventory out there that will not have 1.8, so for a while there will be hardware that has to be upgraded to zigbee pro. As has been said, let's wait for any confirmed details on what 2.0 will bring, other than speculating. The 1.8 release still isn't out of beta. In the meantime, it appears that any of the *current generation* of Control4 equipment will be zigbee pro ready out of the gate on 2.0

My concern is not with C4 gear, as I am sure they will not leave much equipment behind.

My concern is the Card Access gear. I have wireless contact switches and wireless relays. I am not interested in paying another $150+ per item to replace these....they work perfectly fine.

These are not old units either, about 8 months at latest. I am not at all interested in replacing all these items.

I think it boils down to progress.... If you want the functionality at some point you have to pay the price. I think everyone is just trying to point out that 1.8 is a transition to a new way of doing things and is not what we have seen in last year or two of upgrades. This one is serious business and not for the faint of heart, however the potential next generation of hardware and software will dwarf the inconvenience. Like all technology you have to have a migration strategy. As a owner of a large install (20 units ofmotion, contacts, mini remotes etc) as well as a dealer the card access issue is tough because it is not about the price of the hardware but the time to reidentify, reprogram etc. For most people that use card access products such as myself their programming is based on activities (ie motion, lighting levels etc) vs. events (ie push a button) as such that is the complexity, the cost of hardware is minor vs. resetup. Card access is a great company and I know they have a great transition plan. Bottom line, 2.0 is where it will be, not 1.8 other than new installs (or major lighting issues) 1.8 is a non issue.

My dealer informed me that Card-Access will 'upgrade' (not sure if that means updating your actual hardware or swapping it out for new ones) the hardware for a small cost. I really hope thats the case because otherwise having just purchased my equipment it would be really irritating to find out it was obsolete in just a few months, and something that really should have been disclosed to anyone purchasing those items in the past few months.

Archived