C4 Forums | Control4

Adding where there is no light switch

I was thinking it would be nice to add some 3 or 6 buttons on the wall next to the beds in some of my bedrooms. Is there a way to do this if there is NO existing switch on that wall from which to draw power? Is there a C4 part that would allow me just plug the 3 or 6 button in to an outlet - perhaps in the attic and run the cable down the wall to a newly installed 3 button?

There are Keypad Tabletop Kits available. The keypad mounts in the kit's "box" and provides power to the keypad by plugging into an available room outlet and then you can set the keypad unit on your night stand etc. 2,3, or 6 button keypads can use this kit.

Also a Low Voltage Keypad Power Supply is available for in wall keypads.

Check with your dealer for part #'s, price, etc.

The tabletop kits are great if you have a nightstand, end table, etc nearby.

Just drop the keypad into the tabletop kit, and plug it into the wall.

The kit is nicely finished and angled so the keypad is easy to access and looks nice on the table.

Now if you want to add them in wall, you can just use a regular retro backbox and tie to any 110v power source or use low voltage wiring and a control4 LV power pack. If there is an existing outlet below the in wall location, just add romex and that's all you need.

Instead of doing that why don't you tap into a outlet for power and rob a little. Then run up the wall directly above it and and pop your 3 or 6 button in right there with a box used to remodel old houses (doesn't even require a stud). Anywhere you can snag a little power you can add a 2,3 or six button.

^Absolutely. When I built, I told the sparky to put the box on either side of the headboard. Try reaching around and back to hit the dimmer button- it's like a pulled muscle every night before I go to bed. Better on the nightstand by far I say.

Archived