C4 Forums | Control4

Help needed - Thermostat

ebarak

Hi,

I my dealer asked me to use an HVAC technician to install the Control4 Thermostat. I have a carrier unit and the current thermostat is Honeywell Focus Pro 6000. When the technician came today and tried to install the Control4 unit something did not work right: the HVAC will start working and suddenly stop for no reason (did not reach the required temperature); after setting the temperature to 74 it suddenly jumped to 85 and etc.

The Technician never install similar unit in the past (I probably should have done a better job in finding the right guy:(). Eventually he reinstall the Honeywell unit and now I am looking for advice as to what may have gone wrong.

Did anyone encounter this kind of problem in the past? can it be a problem with the Control4 unit? maybe something was not right with the installation? I am not an expert but it seems that he connected the wires correctly and kept the set up on Power Stealing and the remaining default setting which match my HVAC unit (i.e., Conventional and etc).

I will appreciate any suggestion.

Effi

ILove C4,

Sorry but I re-postED my message from yesterday in the General Discussion after noticing that it also used for this type of questions and has more traffic...sorry for the confusion:D

I will appreciate any help while I am looking for another HVAC person who install C4 Thermostat before.

Regards,

Do not use power stealing, use a common wire connection.

Power stealing causes funky issues with some modern HVAC systems. The "stealing" causes the relays on the system to have issues which is probably the exact problem you are experiencing. I have a new high efficiency system on one floor that was very flaky when set to power stealing. Once I ran a common wire, it works without any problems.

A much older system on the next floor worked fine with power stealing enabled. Talked to the HVAC tech and his comment was that new systems just don't like power stealing, where as the older systems are so low tech, they never notice the voltage drain of the thermostat.

No power stealing, common wire ONLY.

Thank you!! I will ask the HAVC tech to try without power stealing!!

By the way, if I do not use Power Stealing, does it mean we work on the internal battery?

Only if you don't have a common wire running back to your HVAC system. Running the Tstat on battery is not an issue except for the cost of having to replace the battery every 4-6 months & by the way, they're not cheap.

Just for clarification, the battery exists to provide power continuity while the thermostat switches power sources when the AC or Heat units come on. If the unit is power stealing, it's supposed to get power from the unit that is not currently on, but during the time that it's powering up, the thermostat still needs power.

If you have a proper common wire, and have wired it to not use power stealing (which is the most stable, reliable setup), you should not need a battery other than for backup power for power failures.

RyanE

Thank you... the technician was here today, connected the common wire to the furnace and the thermostat and it is working…However the temperature read by the thermostat is off big time; when compare to the original thermostats that I have (relatively new 2 Honeywell 6000) and a portable thermostat the gap is more than 5 degrees!!

I have to admit I do trust the temperature measured by the Honeywell and the portable device

Any suggestion? Is there a way to calibrate the control4 Thermostat? Shall I assume that the Control4 unit is not working properly and replace it?

Thank you for all your help

Effi

The temp calibration can be set in composer.

Let the unit settle in for a few hours, then have the temp calibration adjusted to meet your perference.

I have mine set to display 2 degrees lower than actual, keeps the wife from freezing me to death.

Let the unit settle in for a few hours, then have the temp calibration adjusted to meet your perference.

I have mine set to display 2 degrees lower than actual, keeps the wife from freezing me to death.

Thats a great freaken idea!!!!!! I freeze my butt off!!!

Let the unit settle in for a few hours' date=' then have the temp calibration adjusted to meet your perference.

I have mine set to display 2 degrees lower than actual, keeps the wife from freezing me to death.[/quote']

Thats a great freaken idea!!!!!! I freeze my butt off!!!

The t-stat can be calibrated from the front panel using the buttons. I have never done it this way but here is the documentation on how to do it.

1) There are two different ways to calibrate a thermostat both are listed below:

2) To manually recalibrate (set to the correct temp.) the thermostat press the middle button 15 times to reset/reboot the thermostat or remove the battery

a) Then hold the outer two buttons until you see letters were the time is.

B) Then you hold the middle button while using the up and down buttons to adjust the temperature.

c) Once completed press and hold the middle button until the time returns.

3) To calibrate the thermostat in composer:

a) Click on system design.

B) Click the thermostat, under advanced setup you will see temp calibrate.

c) Set the temp – or + tell it is correctly on with the temp, make sure you press set.

Archived