C4 Forums | Control4

Control UI for Andriod

We might see something at CEDIA but I haven't heard anything either, so don't get your hopes up. I would think an android app is more plausible before blackberry because it has a touchscreen similar to the iphone and existing touchpanels to keep the consistent ui.

I saw that bebster, it's confusing because of that statement, but C4 makes no reference to it other than the itunes store and the fact that control UI's web sight is dry and sterile. Plus the app is not on Android Market. Grrrrr Guess we will have to wait.

I've used rent-a-coder and elance to write apps for me for a variety of other things and, with some quality control and a bit of back and forth, the apps have come out great. I have many phones b/c of my business, but am really starting to prefer Android to iPhone more every day. Plenty of things are better on iPhone - I know that - but for my uses, Android is really getting there and I'm thinking that 1 of the alleged 18 phones being released in the next 12 mos has got to be a great one...hopefully it's on Verizon.

The difficult thing about C4 is that everything appears to run through them - please don't get all defensive folks! - so, even if I had the thing built and crowdsourced the cost of it, I believe C4 would charge some sort of fee to tap in to their system, no? I mean the $300 fee for the iPhone app - the one that circumvents the Apple store's 70/30 rev share policy (very, very dirty pool c4!) - is, as far as I can tell, either flat out price gauging or required to cover some mobile navigator license fee charged to 3rd party developers to get in to the c4 system....?

Love to hear cogent, constructive, non-defensive thoughts from some of you folks out there...

I've used rent-a-coder and elance to write apps for me for a variety of other things and, with some quality control and a bit of back and forth, the apps have come out great. I have many phones b/c of my business, but am really starting to prefer Android to iPhone more every day. Plenty of things are better on iPhone - I know that - but for my uses, Android is really getting there and I'm thinking that 1 of the alleged 18 phones being released in the next 12 mos has got to be a great one...hopefully it's on Verizon.

The difficult thing about C4 is that everything appears to run through them - please don't get all defensive folks! - so, even if I had the thing built and crowdsourced the cost of it, I believe C4 would charge some sort of fee to tap in to their system, no? I mean the $300 fee for the iPhone app - the one that circumvents the Apple store's 70/30 rev share policy (very, very dirty pool c4!) - is, as far as I can tell, either flat out price gauging or required to cover some mobile navigator license fee charged to 3rd party developers to get in to the c4 system....?

Love to hear cogent, constructive, non-defensive thoughts from some of you folks out there...

There's a pretty good post about it here in this thread, post #10, that explains the cost and what it covers. Of course, it's not "official", as I doubt they will give you a breakdown, but it's very logical.

http://c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=3600

It's either worth the cost or it's not. Sure, you can packet sniff and come up with some back door way of doing things, but all the hard work is done for you, and it works very well.

I appreciate the level-headed, informative response (forums work great when we all play nice!). So, thank you. The commentary makes sense, with one exception, which is my broader issue: that this dealer/software maker should be commended for taking the time to create what sounds like a decent app. They should feel free to charge whatever they want for it too. However, they should be scorned, as developers, for piggy-backing on the App store to promote a "free" app, then charging a licensing fee in order to make the app function. That is unethical at best, but just plain rotten. I have seen at least 50 people say - "I have this app and it's great" - hell, there are 49 reviews of it on the app store, so probably way more than 4 times that (200) have paid the $300. You think $60K doesn't cover this guy's costs with a very, very tidy profit? Trust me, I've written many applications that are much more complicated than this and you can do it for quite a bit less than $30K even. The notion that it would have been more expensive had they followed the iTunes/App guidelines gives this dealer too much credit. Let's just call bs on this; lousy behavior is lousy behavior and C4/other dealers/customers should not condone this sort of behavior. Play by the rules is all I'm saying and support a positive C4 ecosystem that operates lawfully and ethically.

Before you say it, I have already written to coder friends at Apple flagging this. We'll see what happens.

Really...If you think about it, ethics aside, the cheapest TC C4 has is $300-$400 for a mini-touch P.O.S. and from what a good friend (who has the app) tells me it rivals even there 10.5v2 in responsiveness and portability, $300 is not that bad to have your entire house in the palm of your hand. Who cares where the money goes. That is just my humble opinion.:D Oh Control UI told me in an email that they are working on the Andriod version and hope to show it at CES January! :lol:

I guess that means that the cost to the consumer may eventually go up, since Apple's slice of the pie will have to be tacked on.

The "app store" business model was created around the average app which costs about $10 and has no real need for maintenance or updates. $3 isn't a bad fee for distribution and cash collection for the developer. But when you start talking about an industrial strength $300 app, that needs to undergo release cycles to perform correctly over the long run, I'm not so sure that business model is in everyones best interest (except Apple's).

Guys - If you are developing for a product - iPhone/iTouch - than you play by the SDK rules, you don't tweak them to suit your needs. Also, let's not pretend we know why the app store was created - for cheap apps or 'industrial stength' apps - if there were different flavors intended, different levels of pricing would have been created. So, developers know where it came from. BTW, all the major and independent record companies have the same arrangement with Apple, whether they're selling a box set (industrial strength?) or a single song from a new artist - if they don't like the ITunes deal, they release their assets through one of the others - Napster, Amazon, Rhapsody, or on their own site. Or they continue to sell it at retail in a box. If this developer didn't like the arrangement with Apple, they could have tried to cut a deal with the other carries or released it, I suppose, as jailbreak'd product. He did not choose to do that, he chose to sign for the SDK rules, use the marketplace, promote the product to the most successful smart phone OS out there at the moment.... so, he should simply not try and play games to improve his margin. This is shady and, that he's a dealer, would certainly make me question his business practices across the board. I'm fine with having a difference of opinion on the price - I think it's high for what it is, but respect those who disagree. In the end, rightfully, the market will set the price. But, let's please don't pretend that this arbitrary $300 number was the exact amount the guy needed to make money; and that if he, now plays by the rules, then he must increase the price by 30% to cover Apple's stake. BS. It's dirty pool, it's not defensible. Next topic.

It's amazing! I started this thread with "Has any one heard of bla bla bla for Andriod?" How in the world do these threads turn into a G*d D*mn political debate. Who gives a sh*t! C4 charges for the app activation because if they didn't they would never sell another touch screen again! Like I said, $300 for a touch screen UI is not a bad deal! Quit bitching about it like it was about gov health care! yall are giving my computer a head ache!:mad:

Guys - If you are developing for a product - iPhone/iTouch - than you play by the SDK rules, you don't tweak them to suit your needs. Also, let's not pretend we know why the app store was created - for cheap apps or 'industrial stength' apps - if there were different flavors intended, different levels of pricing would have been created. So, developers know where it came from. BTW, all the major and independent record companies have the same arrangement with Apple, whether they're selling a box set (industrial strength?) or a single song from a new artist - if they don't like the ITunes deal, they release their assets through one of the others - Napster, Amazon, Rhapsody, or on their own site. Or they continue to sell it at retail in a box. If this developer didn't like the arrangement with Apple, they could have tried to cut a deal with the other carries or released it, I suppose, as jailbreak'd product. He did not choose to do that, he chose to sign for the SDK rules, use the marketplace, promote the product to the most successful smart phone OS out there at the moment.... so, he should simply not try and play games to improve his margin. This is shady and, that he's a dealer, would certainly make me question his business practices across the board. I'm fine with having a difference of opinion on the price - I think it's high for what it is, but respect those who disagree. In the end, rightfully, the market will set the price. But, let's please don't pretend that this arbitrary $300 number was the exact amount the guy needed to make money; and that if he, now plays by the rules, then he must increase the price by 30% to cover Apple's stake. BS. It's dirty pool, it's not defensible. Next topic.

Log out and go already ;) or start a new topic in your own thread. The mytouch is the "hottest" thing on the market right now - go home apple.

• 2 weeks later...
Next topic.

do you mean, "original topic"?

I'm definitely interested in seeing what comes out at cedia this year I'd love to see an android app and a blackberry app, what I'm most interested in with cell phone based apps is the possibility of being able to control the house from anywhere not just home.

I have emailed controlUI about the android version and the reply I got was "We're shooting for January". I am really stoked considering I have the G1.

Sell your G1 and get a mytouch - I promse you - you'll love it 100 times more.

Archived