C4 Forums | Control4

Cause of flash from top of C4 switch?

I have a bathroom fixture that has a C4 switch controlling the light and one controlling the fan.  They each have an LED indicating on and off.

I just turned on the light and saw a quick flash of light at the top (on) position of the switch, heard a small pop and noticed the fixture light did not go on.  The on/off LEDs on the switch still illuminate and C4 senses when the switch is on or off so I presume the switch is ok and the ceiling light just burnt out (don’t remember it it is halogen, incandescent or LED).  What concerns me was the quick bright flash.  Can anyone tell me what that could have been and if there is an easy way to tell if the C4 switch is damaged?

39 minutes ago, jfh said:

I have a bathroom fixture that has a C4 switch controlling the light and one controlling the fan.  They each have an LED indicating on and off.

I just turned on the light and saw a quick flash of light at the top (on) position of the switch, heard a small pop and noticed the fixture light did not go on.  The on/off LEDs on the switch still illuminate and C4 senses when the switch is on or off so I presume the switch is ok and the ceiling light just burnt out (don’t remember it it is halogen, incandescent or LED).  What concerns me was the quick bright flash.  Can anyone tell me what that could have been and if there is an easy way to tell if the C4 switch is damaged?

Swap out the bulb or get a meter.  I would guess the switch is bad. It's common if they go bad for the load control to no longer function but the intelligence is still there.

The switch had been working for over a year.  Do the switches just go bad or is more likely there was some sort of over voltage that fried the switch?  Electrical stuff has never been my strong suit.

How would I test the switch with a meter to confirm the switch is bad?

Yes they do just go bad sometimes but it could also have been from a short in the wire, fixture or bulb so you might need to test a few things and it will likely involve you at least pulling the switch out of the wall. What is the light that it is controlling? It is indeed a switch and not a dimmer? 

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/how-to-use-a-multimeter/9ba683603be9fa5395fab90d6f3ffa5

If you are not decently knowledgable about basic high voltage you might want to talk to your dealer or an electrician. 

Thanks.  The light is in a combo fan/light fixture.  The fan still works.  The C4 switch on the light  is a SW120277 not a dimmer.  I think it’s halogen bulb  but not sure.  If it’s a short in the wire from wall to fixture I’ll have to call an electrician.  My first thing to try is to replace the C4 switch with a dumb switch to see if the bulb actually works, if not change the bulb, then a replacement C4 switch.  I just don’t want to put in a new C4 switch and then have it blow again.

13 minutes ago, jfh said:

Thanks.  The light is in a combo fan/light fixture.  The fan still works.  The C4 switch on the light  is a SW120277 not a dimmer.  I think it’s halogen bulb  but not sure.  If it’s a short in the wire from wall to fixture I’ll have to call an electrician.  My first thing to try is to replace the C4 switch with a dumb switch to see if the bulb actually works, if not change the bulb, then a replacement C4 switch.  I just don’t want to put in a new C4 switch and then have it blow again.

So wait.. its a ceiling fan with built in light any nothing else? If the C4 switch still operates the fan the switch is fine. 

1 hour ago, AVNeeds said:

So wait.. its a ceiling fan with built in light any nothing else? If the C4 switch still operates the fan the switch is fine. 

Not a ceiling fan - a bathroom vent fan with a light with the fan and light wired to separate C4 switches.   The C4 switch for the light can do taps and communicate with the controller but the light (load) does not turn on.  There are two bulbs in the fixture so unless both bulbs shorted at the exact same time something else happened.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.