C4 Forums | Control4

Good Subwoofer amp?

bebster

I have a 10" subwoofer mounted in an in-wall back box, but I noticed that most home theater receivers output line level un-amplified signals on the subwoofer channel. I guess that means I'll need a separate amplifier for the subwoofer. It would be ideal to have it turn off if automatically when not in use. Any recommendations?

It's the Proficient Audio IWS10, and is located about 10' feet away from the closet where the receiver/amp would be. There is a 16-2 speaker wire running to it. The room is only about 11' wide by 19' long, so I don't see running it anywhere near it's full capacity.

http://www.proficientaudio.com/iws10.html

16-2 wire seems a little week for the sub.

Since the wire is so short, I may as well upgrade it to 12 gauge. But since it's short there's not much voltage drop over it. I sure have plenty of scraps around so why not.

As far as amps, I've haven't found a Proficient amp that isn't really a stereo amp. Seems like there are plenty of subwoofer amps made for automobiles - I guess if you want that low-rider look at the stop light!

I don't have a proficient price book, but I'm 99% certain it's the Proficient 200 amp that matched the 10" sub.

It's a mono class A-B amp that is designed to be paired with the backbox and sub. 200 Watts, 4 ohm, etc.

I think it's around $500 retail. Normally ordered as an entire kit with the amp, backbox, sub etc.

Archived