C4 Forums | Control4

Media Hub

My Multi DVD player is not working and I was looking at a Media storage device that woul allow me to rip my DVDs to a hard drive. I would like it to work with control4 and allow me to select a movie with cover art.

It looks like there are two out there, the Linksys Media hub and the Netger eva 9150. Does anyone have experience with these or any other media hub and how they work with control4?

Comments/suggestions/ideas???

Thanks!

The 9150 is more of a player with a built-in hard drive than a "media hub". What you really should look into is a NAS with multiple disks and "RAID" for data protection. This way if a drive dies you dont lose everything and you can expand it depending on the type you get. I've used the Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer, it comes with no drives but six bays. It has the ability to stream 11 HD streams simultaneously, and when configured properly can have dynamic expansion or hot-swap of failed drives. Make sure whatever NAS you get has DLNA support. You can put your music, pictuers, and videos there (back up your computers too) and not have to worry about it. Control4 will play the music in either MP3 or FLAC, the pictures as a screensaver, and the movies with a netgear 9150, XBMC on xbox, pc or mac, or the upcoming c4 media player.

I see that this is also what you're talking about. Off day today. Maybe I should quit posting. :-/

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/promo/Media-Hub

So you can buy this one at Best Buy for $450. Can you then really burn your Movies and Music here and have it displayed through Control4 (so you could see all your movie art work through control4 and queue up a movie)? Can you burn any movie to here, or are some of them made where you can't burn it to this device? Seems like a great deal if it works with Control4 for movie storage?

Is there a better solution at a compairable price?

Thanks

Dave

This would be just a place to store your media and stream them to your pc's but to see it on c4 and tv's you still need a player. Control4 has couple of drivers just like codeman said.You might not need 11 HD streams simultaneously but expandable option sounds good. I would follow cedeman recommendation, I have only set up EVA9150 once (works well), but sounds that he has a lot more experience with it.

Archived