C4 Forums | Control4

Best way trigger behind mirror LEDS

rf9000

All,

I'm putting a very large mirror in the Master bath with behind mirror LED lighting on the top and bottom. I would like these LEDs to automatically dim ramp on when someone enters the room. I have installed a small SPY motion sensor in the toe kick of the vanity, about 6" inside the entry walkway, so basically the first step into the room will trigger it. This motion sensor wire is ran about 125' to the control room. Inside the vanity, there is a regular AC outlet where, a C4 outlet dimmer will be plugged in. Into this outlet dimmer the transformer for the LED lights will be plugged in. So, when someone walks into the room, it triggers the motion, which then is programmed to trigger the outlet dimmer to dim on the transformer. Is this the best way to do this? I'm just wondering if there will be any delay because the control room is 125' away?

I'd use something more like these beam sensors: https://www.surveillance-video.com/security-e-932-d33tbq.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB_4exrVKlQ9m2g4JsVEuYAlwMlB6d2W_Epq5aTCA6m4WfrZircXZ4hoCrWUQAvD_BwE

They also make some that only have a 3/4" hole for the sensor as long as there's room behind to install the device.  You'd be looking at around a 30ms roundtrip to turn your lights on, so pretty darn quick.

9 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

I'd use something more like these beam sensors: https://www.surveillance-video.com/security-e-932-d33tbq.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB_4exrVKlQ9m2g4JsVEuYAlwMlB6d2W_Epq5aTCA6m4WfrZircXZ4hoCrWUQAvD_BwE

They also make some that only have a 3/4" hole for the sensor as long as there's room behind to install the device.  You'd be looking at around a 30ms roundtrip to turn your lights on, so pretty darn quick.

Im actually using something like this mounted in the toe kick of the vanity

https://www.123securityproducts.com/spy-4.html

14 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Do you think what I listed will work good, or should it be more like a beam sensor?

Personally, I'd rather the beam.  But what you linked should work.  Note that being installed in the toekick, you're already cutting the sensors spread in half (installed close to the floor).  Depending on how much overhang above where this motion would be, you could also cut off spread there as well.

Should work though.

14 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Personally, I'd rather the beam.  But what you linked should work.  Note that being installed in the toekick, you're already cutting the sensors spread in half (installed close to the floor).  Depending on how much overhang above where this motion would be, you could also cut off spread there as well.

Should work though.

isn't that what you want to keep it focused?

30 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Well, if you want focused triggering, the beam sensor would work better IMO.  Especially, if you add a second set so you can track coming and going.  Would allow much more detailed and controlled programming.  Like "walking IN", all lights stay on.  Then "walking OUT", shut all lights, music, etc. off.

Like I said though, what he wants to use should work with minimal trial and error (ie: adjusting sensitivity).

8 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Well, if you want focused triggering, the beam sensor would work better IMO.  Especially, if you add a second set so you can track coming and going.  Would allow much more detailed and controlled programming.  Like "walking IN", all lights stay on.  Then "walking OUT", shut all lights, music, etc. off.

Like I said though, what he wants to use should work with minimal trial and error (ie: adjusting sensitivity).

Thanks. But in my situation I would actually prefer a timed situation. I wouldn’t want the music, lights, etc to turn off every time I walked out. The closet is right next to the bath but it’s in the master hallway adjoining the two and the bedroom where you have to leave the master bath and go down the hallway to get to the closet. It would get annoying if while getting ready everything kept turning off and on when walking back and forth, especially with two people. I would just set it to turn off if no motion is detected in let’s say five minutes. 

On 1/18/2021 at 10:57 AM, msgreenf said:

Morning. So if I'm wanting to have these LED lights ramp up when turning on, can I use a LOZ-5D1-x dimmer outlet to plug the LED transformer into? Or do I have to use one of the newer C4-V-ODIM120 outlet dimmers?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.