C4 Forums | Control4

Reverse Phase Dimmer

bebster

Yes, the ELV Dimmer can control dimmable compact fluorescent lighting. However, note that not all compact fluorescents are dimmable. Please review the CFL light fixture specifications to ensure compatibility with dimming. Also note that CFL lighting typically does not provide the same low-level dimming as traditional incandescent or halogen lighting.

The issue with range is not due to the dimmer, it's due to the CFL technology.

Any fluorescent (or neon, to a greater extent) technology requires a certain 'strike voltage' below which, the light will not 'strike', or start up. There is also a minimum voltage to maintain the plasma discharge that causes the light.

Because of this, the lowest setting on a FL is much higher than incandescent.

RyanE

The issue with range is not due to the dimmer, it's due to the CFL technology.

Any fluorescent (or neon, to a greater extent) technology requires a certain 'strike voltage' below which, the light will not 'strike', or start up. There is also a minimum voltage to maintain the plasma discharge that causes the light.

Because of this, the lowest setting on a FL is much higher than incandescent.

RyanE

yeah but aren't the elv dimmers made to move through the usable voltage range more acurately?

Yes, but if your minimum operating voltage gives you a light level of 30%, you're not going to be able to go any lower than that, and the range is pretty small.

i.e. maybe 30% is the lowest you can have, and anything from 60-100% looks close to the same brightness.

Not great dimming funtionality, unfortunately.

RyanE

Does anyone know the list price of the 2 different dimmers?

I'd be interested to give an ELV dimmer to see how it works.

It would be great if C4 (or some users) compiled a list of CFL light bulbs and their suitability for dimming and suggested properties for minimum firing levels, etc. I'd be happy to report my experiences with the ones I try.

Archived