C4 Forums | Control4

Network File Storage Connection Issue

My dealer and I have been trying to add a Netwotk File Storage to my configuration. Seems like the controller does not see my share. The shared folder is on my home PC running Vista and I have no spaces in the share name. Any help in resolving this will be greatly appreciated.

I had same problem - you need to get a nas - i didn't know what it was before - but basically its a network hard drive that I picked up at office depot - mine is a Buffalo Linkstation network shared storage - what you need to do is go buy one - mine is 1 TG in size and cost around $300 CDN. It hooks up to your router with an ethernet connection. it installs through your computer and you put all yor files on it instead of your computer (mp3's, screensaver images, movies, etc) - after i did this it all works great - but mine would never work off the computer very well either. It makes no sense really - but files don't work off your computer very well, but they do off the nas. Let me know if any questions.

One advantage of a network drive is that they usually run Linux and seem to hardly ever need to be rebooted. Compared to a drive on a windows PC that's a real plus, since windows seems to need to be rebooted almost daily it seems! You can always us the PC drive as a target drive to backup the files on the NAS.

I have four different hard drives on one of the PC's at my house (3 internal, one external connected via USB) and they are all used a Network File Shares in my Control4 system.

It works great. If you say that it doesn't, it must be because you haven't configured your firewall properly. Mine didn't work until I ditched McAfee for AVG, now it works great. McAfee sucked anyways, it is a major resource hog.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone ever tried to access a file share outside the LAN the controller is on.

I currently have a situation where the controller is on a subnet of the file share I want to see.

I am running two routers and can connect to director on the subnet from a PC on the main network and can see the file share but the controller says "unable to connect". If I attach the PC on the same LAN as the controller I can connect with no problem. Is it even possible for the controller to even connect in this manner? or am i hosed?

Thanks

Has anyone ever tried to access a file share outside the LAN the controller is on.

I currently have a situation where the controller is on a subnet of the file share I want to see.

I am running two routers and can connect to director on the subnet from a PC on the main network and can see the file share but the controller says "unable to connect". If I attach the PC on the same LAN as the controller I can connect with no problem. Is it even possible for the controller to even connect in this manner? or am i hosed?

Thanks

Sounds like you need a static route setup in the routers so they know where to route the traffic, a layer three switch with vlans instead of two routers, or put the nas on the same network.

Thanks for the quick response. I wonder if static routes through the routers will work because the other options are not options at all. here is whats going on:

I have a bed and breakfast situation where the main facility is run from one controller (HC1000).

Then there are four suites that the customer wanted separate from the main system so people couldn't alter the various things in the suites from outside the room.

all four suites have their own router and HC300 separate from each other but all four routers hardwire back to the main control room into the 2 24port netgear switches then to the main router running the whole system so that they can have access to the outside world.

We have recently added a Zatabit movie server to the main system and now with the new media players available the customer wants to add media players to the suites so they can access the Zatabit as a NAS. Do you think I can make this setup work with the existing configuration via static routes through the routers. I have a little experience setting up static routes but any help here is more than appreciated.

Thanks again

That many routers on the same network is a complicated thing to setup right. What are the makes/models of the routers? A layer 3 switch with vlans separating the rooms from each other while still allowing access to the other things needed (director communications, zatabit, the web, etc) would still be a good choice. Alternatively, the rooms could run their own HC-200s and their own projects independently, while still being able to access the Zatabit. This would ensure that any changes made don't affect the other subsystems (ala how they are doing it at MGM)

Sorry I think I misspoke. the four rooms are running their own director on their own project. we had put these room together before the 200's were available but now we have 200's throughout the main system for GUI's and zigbee access points (running 1.7.4) we are not on pro yet. The other reason for the routers in the rooms is for wifi because we have wifi 7" touchscreens in each room.

would a layer 3 switch make all this possible (I don't know how they work) with a WAP or am I stuck with the routers.

The routers are netgear WNR3500 v1 on the main system going to 2 24 port netgear switches and there are 2 WNR3500's acting as WAP's in the nether regions of the facility.

Each room has its own netgear WNR330 running its own local system then out to the switches for internet access and (fingers crossed) NAS access.

Thanks

• 2 years later...

hi there... hope this goes to somone, bringing this thread back from the grave! :D

I have a windows 7 ultimate machine that i have tried everything to to get network file storaage to work on. I also have a NAS but want to ditch it as I The access to the raid set i have on my win 7 pc is way faster.

Im still on director 1.7.4

Im getting the cant connect to network share error in composer.

ive tried all the tricks on here and has anyone come up with any solutions?

thanks

Similar configuration setup as "ILoveC4".

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=4329

On the Windows 7 Machine, you need to validate that File Sharing is enabled on the "Guest or Public" profile. Since the Controller and Windows 7 PC exist on two different networks, it is possible that the Windows 7 is blocking the traffic using the Public Profile. Hopefully with the link above and the screenshot below, this should help.

Archived