C4 Forums | Control4

blue screen

I have a problem that  whenever I give a command by voice via Alexa to turn on tv everything works properly. Projector turns on sound turns on and I have a picture on the screen. Then if I press any button on the iPad for example, change the channel, the picture goes blue. Then I have to change the input to 1 than back to 2 on my jvc projector to get the picture back. First I thought it would be HDMI handshake. But why under a voice command I would get a picture but then when I select a channel change the picture would go blue. Same scenario happens when I use the iPad  to turn on the projector. Press dish hopper projector turns on picture comes up change the channel screen goes blue. 

So, for starters, this has nothing to do with Alexa as it;s happening on 'normal' selection as well.

Hard to pinpoint exact reason as we don't know projector, what the path to the projector is (eg is it running from the receiver or from a video switch).

Sounds like there's something in the chain that is causing issues with a resolution change (channel change can cause this, as can a menu/guide selection).

What that is is hard to say as mentioned - could be  video switch that isn't calibrated, could be a receiver set to scaling or NOT to scaling....

Thanks for the reply. The projector is a JVC RS 2000. Running from the reciever  as passthrough. I was hoping someone experienced the same problem. I am currently trying to pinpoint the problem but running out of ideas. I'll tell you one thing it's annoying as hell. Thanks

6 hours ago, daveva said:

Thanks for the reply. The projector is a JVC RS 2000. Running from the reciever  as passthrough. I was hoping someone experienced the same problem. I am currently trying to pinpoint the problem but running out of ideas. I'll tell you one thing it's annoying as hell. Thanks

passthrough? Do you mean the receiver is SET to passthrough? Or do you just mean there's a receiver in between.

OK, so here's the best way to find the source of the issue.

-Instead of changing the projector, change the receiver input manually. If that clears it - it's not being caused be the projector.

-Is there a video switch as well, or just sources to the receiver. If there's a video switch, if it has front control buttons, try 'just' changing sources on the switch and see if that clears the blue screen.

Depending on answers, there may be some options to look at. There may or may not be a way to 'clear' the issue - but any attempt will depend a lot on the 'source' of the blue screen.

I've been troubleshooting this today. Yes the receiver is set to passthrough. I did change the input on the marantz receiver which did change the blue screen to obtain a picture. The other thing I found curious if I used the remotes to turn on projector, receiver, and dish, and then changed the channel there was no problem. Then I used the iPad pressed the dish hopper icon and the blue screen appeared.

1 hour ago, daveva said:

Yes the receiver is set to passthrough.

So to clarify - do you mean pass-though resolution?

1 hour ago, daveva said:

The other thing I found curious if I used the remotes to turn on projector, receiver, and dish, and then changed the channel there was no problem. Then I used the iPad pressed the dish hopper icon and the blue screen appeared.

This doesn't make sense really - the system handles both the same - it's merely passing on the code based on a 'channel press'

I would try setting the receiver to scale the image to {best possible resolution} - see if it makes a difference.

Alternate option - make sure the cable box is set to a specific resolution, not to auto (or 'always select best possible solution' or anything similar).

Basically, from what I'm gussing here, the cable box is briefly changing it's resolution swapping channels (I've seen this on guide, or even commercials starting) - the receiver doesn't care, simply passing it through, but the projector isn't able to switch fast enough, loses it's HDMI handshake - but the receiver isn't handing out a new one (IT hasn't changed after all).

13 hours ago, daveva said:

Problem is not only is it doing it when watching dish also does it when watching movies through zappiti. Could something in the Control4 programing be causing this. 

Not likely. UNLESS specifically programmed for whatever reason, and I can't think of a good one, all C4 is doing in this situation is no different from you using a remote.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.