C4 Forums | Control4

Upgrade Sonos system to S2? Will it break Control4 bindings?

I have two Beams, 3 One SLs and the original old Connect

I've hesitated converting/upgrading my system to Sonos' latest operating system (called S2...the old one is called S1) b/c I've read tons and tons of bad reviews about it and people's speakers, systems going wonky after upgrading

So far, my whole system works fine on S1

However, I'd like to get the upcoming Sonos Roam (portable bluetooth/AirPlay 2) speaker, but that is only compatible with S2

If I try and add the Roam to my system, Sonos will give me two options:

1. Create a new S2 system

2. That's it actually

So, I can keep my current speakers on S1 and have a Roam as the only speaker on S2 or I can convert all my current speakers to S2 and add the Roam to S2 once I get it (my Connect will have to stay on S1 - it's not compatible with S2)

The problem is that S1 and S2 don't talk to each other. So, if I have some speakers on S1 and others on S2, they can't be grouped (at least not through Sonos...I can still group them via AirPlay 2, but then that kinda defeats the purpose of having Sonos)

So, what I"m really asking is that if I convert all my current speakers to S2, will that affect any bindings, etc. with Control4 that have already been set up?

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I may bite the bullet and try this weekend

From reading online, it sounds like I should unplug my Connect prior to converting the other speakers to S2 so that everything already set up for the Connect won't disappear

So I went ahead and did this last night

I'll spare everyone the details but it was not a smooth process, but I finally got it done

I have an S1 system that just has my old Connect 1st generation

and

An S2 system that has my 2 Beams, 3 One SLs and hopefully a Roam soon enough

Problem: the S1 system shows all the S2 speakers under the Rooms tab (and they are listed as incompatible) and, conversely, the S2 system shows the Connect in the Rooms tab (again listed as incompatible)

Aside from the cluttered nature of the interface showing all these incompatible speakers for each system, it seems I can't run system updates for either system b/c of the presence of these incompatible speakers - there's a message that I need to remove the incompatible speakers from each system to be able to update

However, 'removing' them means factory resetting them which, of course, I'm trying to avoid and was the whole point of this thread - ie, not having to factory reset them

Has anybody run into this same issue and, if so, did you find any resolution?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Went ahead and factory reset the Connect, deleted S1, re-downloaded S1, created a new S1 system, added back all my music services and favorites and changed all my settings back to what I had before

Had to go into Composer HE and redo the bindings for my 6 button keypad (each button starts a different Apple Music station) b/c, technically, all my Sonos favorites were "new"

But, no issues beyond that

So, now I have a clean S1 showing only the Connect and a clean S2 showing all other Sonos speakers and not the Connect

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.