C4 Forums | Control4

Need help answering Card Access Q's for fireplace...

maniac36

I've read mostly all the posts for automating a fireplace, but I'm just needing to have my thoughts clarified. I currently have a fireplace attached to a thermostat (non C4). I want to replace the thermostat with a C4 switch, I'm not able to run wires back to my HC300 so that leaves me with the Card Access relay. The wiring is low voltage from the fireplace, if I put in a CA relay (powered), will the CA relay power the C4 switch or do I need a low voltage converter for the switch? Thanks

Why is the fireplace attached to the thermostat? How is the ignition system controlled?

For code reasons, it's in a bedroom, I guess they don't want it getting too hot in there ;). It's just simple on/off (connect the wires = on, disconnect = off). So the mercury in the stat in the connection.

In that case, I would skip the T-stat nonesense and install a configurable thermo-switch in series with the C4 switch in the power circuit.

I'm not so worried about that, I'm just trying to find out if the CA relay will power the C4 switch? Thanks though! :)

Here's another thought.....do I even need the low voltage wire from the fireplace to the switch if I can power the switch (110V) then have my dealer bind the switch to the relay (which is wireless) for control? If that's the case I wouldn't need a switch just a 2 button correct?

Here's another thought.....do I even need the low voltage wire from the fireplace to the switch if I can power the switch (110V) then have my dealer bind the switch to the relay (which is wireless) for control?

I would go with the solution your dealer recommends. He is the one that is going to need to feel comfortable installing and supporting whatever solution you have. That way you also have someone to blame if there is a problem down the road.

I would go with the solution your dealer recommends. He is the one that is going to need to feel comfortable installing and supporting whatever solution you have. That way you also have someone to blame if there is a problem down the road.

He's a little slow getting back to me. I'm just trying to think this out ahead of time.

On my gas fireplace, if I break the connection to the thermostat it came with, the flame goes down to pilot level.

If yours is the same (you can test this easily), then you can run the wire through the relay and use it to make or break the connection. That relay should be able to be controlled by any C4 device (eg 2 button keypad) with very simple programming instructing the relay to open/close.

Archived