C4 Forums | Control4

Energy Management/Monitoring

tumult

I wonder if it was added in 1.8? I just started recently using the variables in email notifications.

That must be it...another reason to upgrade. I'm just waiting for my dealer to get back to me, I'm trying to replace the last of the V1 and V2 remotes with SR-250's, then I'll have them do the 1..8 update.

I've been using TED5000 for several months and its absolutely fantastic. The installation took about half an hour and the directions provided were easy to follow. I did have some issues getting a clean signal to the gateway but I eventually resolved that. It also ports into my iGoogle so that I can monitor my power consumption from outside the home. My bill is normaly over $300, but within the first month I was able to reduce that to about $135. I put the display in the kitchen so everyone in the household could see real time power consumption. When the meter read over 1.500 Kwh we would walk around the house to get the meter back below 1.5 kwh. You also have the ability to profile certain appliances and look at the usage on a graph. For example, you'll know how many times a day your hot tub heater powers on. You can find more answers at this blog: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/powermeter/label?lid=37de152989edc637&hl=en

Hope this was helpfull.

I put the display in the kitchen so everyone in the household could see real time power consumption.

Good idea! The "Prius" effect at work where awareness reduces consumption.

What kind of wiring did you have to do to get to the display? I'm asking because I'd like to prewire for that.

Did the display just screw to the drywall?

bebster: No hard wiring required. The display operates wirelessly with the gateway, which can be placed in any outlet in the house. One can walk around with the display, turning on and off appliances or lights to see the wattage differential. I placed the gateway next to my router so I could connect the ethernet cable. There are detailed reports and graphs available when you access it from any computer (mac or pc) on your network through an ip address.

• 8 months later...

its pretty simple and pretty great. It changes the way you live for the better and the worse. better is that you can usually know if you've left something on. worse in that I find myself constantly checking my iphone app for ted to see how much energy we're consuming. I ordered everything direct from TED. You need the ct clamps that connect to your panel, one ct clamp per main panel. You don't need a ct clamp for a subpanel. Then you need a mtu per main panel that connects to a circuit breaker in your panel. You also need a gateway that plugs into an outlet and to your network. This allows you to see your energy usage in real time on your desktop, laptop, etc. Not only energy usage, but other info as well such as your projected energy usage for the month, how much you're going to spend, etc. I'm on 1.8 and unfortunately, I cannot integrate TED into control4. I believe that if you're on 1.7, you can and then you get to see it on the TV. And, I believe you can integrate if you're on 2.0. someone will have to let us know. I absolutely love the device. one more thing, you don't have to buy one of their displays because you can just view it on your desktop, laptop. I guess it would be neat to have the display in the kitchen or somewhere but then you would just be looking at it all the time...

hope this helps.

tum

• 9 months later...

sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I just got upgraded to 2.1 and we're trying to incorporate my TED 5000 into control4. Peak Software used to have a driver that puts TED's info on the TV, but we have not been able to find it (http://www.peaksoftwarecorp.com/index-2.html). The only energy driver on the 4store is eragy's driver. I've tried calling peak software and there's no answer. Does anyone have a suggestion or know where to find Peak Software's driver?

thx,

tum

Archived