C4 Forums | Control4

C4-16ZAMSV3-B & Triad TS-PAMP8-100 on a C4-HC800-BL Automation Controller

Markus81

Hi,

i am new to this topic and hope to find help here.

In my house i have 16 speakers (Sonos) and got the C4-16ZAMSV3-B Matrix switch and the Triad TS-PAMP8-100 Amp.

If i understand everthing correct i need also the Automation Controller to make the system working and use spotify on the speakers and the App for the phone, right?

1 Question: if this is correct, can i use for that the C4-HC800-BL Automation Controller?

I know its an old device but i am so much over budget and i don't want to wait now 6 month to afford a new one.

2 Question: at this setup, can i also bring the audio signal from two tvs into it to the system and play sound from TV over the speaker also?

3 Question: Where can i find a pro C4 person, which can explain me things about the system by phone or teamviewer for the setup (for money)? Is there a kind of database to find someone to help? Because i am sure there will be much more questions in future.

Greets 

Markus 

Europe

Hi msgreenf,

what is the lastest version i can put on the Hc800?

I bought it already, it was only 90 USD.

But what i dont understand is, can i use more than one Automation Controller? for example the Control 4 ea-5 has (5 audio out—1 HDMI, 2 stereo analog, 2 digital coax) but my c4 Matrix switch has only RCA Input.

so with the C4 EA5 i can only bring 2 signals to the c4 matrix switch and not 5, right?

so in order to use 5 simultan streams on diffrent speakers in diffrent rooms i need to bring 5 signals to the matrix switch, right? 

Or are they bring the signals by LAN to the Matrix switch?

16 minutes ago, Markus81 said:

Hi msgreenf,

what is the lastest version i can put on the Hc800?

I bought it already, it was only 90 USD.

But what i dont understand is, can i use more than one Automation Controller? for example the Control 4 ea-5 has (5 audio out—1 HDMI, 2 stereo analog, 2 digital coax) but my c4 Matrix switch has only RCA Input.

so with the C4 EA5 i can only bring 2 signals to the c4 matrix switch and not 5, right?

so in order to use 5 simultan streams on diffrent speakers in diffrent rooms i need to bring 5 signals to the matrix switch, right? 

Or are they bring the signals by LAN to the Matrix switch?

The latest version you can have is OS3.3.0. The HC800 cannot be used on any system with 3.3.1 or above (in any configuration) and development at C4 has sped up so quickly that I reckon that even within 1-2 years time, OS3.3.0 will be no comparison.

You can combine the streams, but in practice if you have a EA5, you'd upgrade to OS3.3.1 and completely remove the HC800 from the project. Fortunately, HC800 is 10 years old (12 year old processor chip), but they only just went End of life (so they aren't too far behind yet). 

They were awesome at the time, but when you factor in the cost of programming and such, in some ways. it might have been worthwhile trying to find a old EA3/5

4 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

The latest version you can have is OS3.3.0. The HC800 cannot be used on any system with 3.3.1 or above (in any configuration) and development at C4 has sped up so quickly that I reckon that even within 1-2 years time, OS3.3.0 will be no comparison.

You can combine the streams, but in practice if you have a EA5, you'd upgrade to OS3.3.1 and completely remove the HC800 from the project. Fortunately, HC800 is 10 years old (12 year old processor chip), but they only just went End of life (so they aren't too far behind yet). 

They were awesome at the time, but when you factor in the cost of programming and such, in some ways. it might have been worthwhile trying to find a old EA3/5

ok great, thanks for fast and big response. so i can use the old HC800 for the beginning and later in 1 year i can just change it and buy a new version and check to get one on ebay after time.

at the moment i just want to use it for music, nothing spezial.

But how i can use the 5 diffrent streams with Control 4 ea-5 if i have only 2 audio outputs which i could connect to the c4 matrix switch? If i want to listen to 5 diffrent musicstreams at 5 diffrent rooms at the same time than i need to have 5 Inputs into the Matrix switch, right?

or are signals also transferred by LAN connection?

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Also are you sure you have Sonos speakers and not sonance? 

Its INCLGWW1 Sonos In-Ceiling speaker. I think i twas a cooperation with sonance. But i got only 12 Pcs at the moment, for the rest of the house i want to wait until i hear the sound from that one.

You've got 8 music zones, and you've got an 8 zone power amp. I'd strongly recommend you find yourself 8 used Sonos Connects on ebay and save yourself the myriad issues you're going to have trying to set up a C4 streaming system on the cheap. This will give you 8 fully independent zones (which you can combine if you want obviously), as opposed to the expense and complexity of an EA5 (5 streams) and the matrix.

Sell the matrix and you'll make most of the money you need.

3 hours ago, timbooo said:

You've got 8 music zones, and you've got an 8 zone power amp. I'd strongly recommend you find yourself 8 used Sonos Connects on ebay and save yourself the myriad issues you're going to have trying to set up a C4 streaming system on the cheap. This will give you 8 fully independent zones (which you can combine if you want obviously), as opposed to the expense and complexity of an EA5 (5 streams) and the matrix.

Sonos connect is also really old. Port and amp are the new ones.

It really depends on their usage at the end of the day. Sounds like they need to engage a dealer for advice to be honest

6 hours ago, Markus81 said:

ok great, thanks for fast and big response. so i can use the old HC800 for the beginning and later in 1 year i can just change it and buy a new version and check to get one on ebay after time.

at the moment i just want to use it for music, nothing spezial.

But how i can use the 5 diffrent streams with Control 4 ea-5 if i have only 2 audio outputs which i could connect to the c4 matrix switch? If i want to listen to 5 diffrent musicstreams at 5 diffrent rooms at the same time than i need to have 5 Inputs into the Matrix switch, right?

or are signals also transferred by LAN connection?

It may be worthwhile beginning with engaging with a dealer already and planning things  right now. I'm concerned you're hobbling things together and might end up with a problematic solution. They should be able to answer these questions. 

You'd be surprised how regularly installers go onsite and basically have to declare the existing installation a national disaster

14 hours ago, timbooo said:

if i do it this way, can i also put zones together or have i connect always the a specific zone with my phone to play music? With C4 Apps and Hardware i can control all zones and put zones together if i need or want, the same is possible with 8 sonos connects?

And in total i have 10 Zones in the house and about 3-4 zones outside, and in the other rooms i can not use sonos because the ceiling has only 9-10cm depth and sonos hat 11-12cm

10 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

It may be worthwhile beginning with engaging with a dealer already and planning things  right now. I'm concerned you're hobbling things together and might end up with a problematic solution. They should be able to answer these questions. 

You'd be surprised how regularly installers go onsite and basically have to declare the existing installation a national disaster

yes you are right, but where can i find this professionals? It was question 3 in my fist post. Is there a database somewhere?

1 minute ago, Markus81 said:

yes you are right, but where can i find this professionals? It was question 3 in my fist post. Is there a database somewhere?

https://www.control4.com/dealer_locator

They have a list. Depending on your plans and the size of your house, if its a large house, sometimes best to go in-person (especially if its a new installation. Existing installations might matter a bit less if you're a highly technical person, because the wiring is already done). 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.