C4 Forums | Control4

Heat miser underfloor heating control

Hi everyone!

This a question for a project we’re taking over. If anyone could help, this would be amazing. The situation is there is a rack on the top floor which has the Ea5, audio amps, networking etc…

There is a unit on the floor below the top floor (where the rack is) which is responsible for the underfloor heating system. The system is working and the drivers are there for control4 integration. In previous projects where we have done this integration all that was required was a serial connection. 

Where the heating system is there is also the lighting panel. The previous dealer had only recommended running 1 Ethernet between the top floor and the second floor which is being used for the lighting. Moreover was thinking of putting an ea1 and a network switch where the heating unit is and just connect the serial port of the ea1 to the heating. My issue is that I was intending to use this:

ea1 3.5mm to db9 connector ——>into an rs232 to rs485 convertor —> into the heating unit.

the issue is the ea1 serial port is only allowing “3 way communication”. I’m not sure at all what this is??

please tell me if this would work

On 1/2/2023 at 8:51 PM, KushHalai said:

Hi everyone!

This a question for a project we’re taking over. If anyone could help, this would be amazing. The situation is there is a rack on the top floor which has the Ea5, audio amps, networking etc…

There is a unit on the floor below the top floor (where the rack is) which is responsible for the underfloor heating system. The system is working and the drivers are there for control4 integration. In previous projects where we have done this integration all that was required was a serial connection. 

Where the heating system is there is also the lighting panel. The previous dealer had only recommended running 1 Ethernet between the top floor and the second floor which is being used for the lighting. Moreover was thinking of putting an ea1 and a network switch where the heating unit is and just connect the serial port of the ea1 to the heating. My issue is that I was intending to use this:

ea1 3.5mm to db9 connector ——>into an rs232 to rs485 convertor —> into the heating unit.

the issue is the ea1 serial port is only allowing “3 way communication”. I’m not sure at all what this is??

please tell me if this would work

My EA1 was driving the same setup connecting a Somfy URTSII device, I had zero issues, am sure u get this from a manual or something but it provides 2 serial out (shared with IR out 1 and 2).

So the previous dealer did not integrate floor heating to C4? What was the reason for leaving it behind?

3 hours ago, Amr said:

My EA1 was driving the same setup connecting a Somfy URTSII device, I had zero issues, am sure u get this from a manual or something but it provides 2 serial out (shared with IR out 1 and 2).

So the previous dealer did not integrate floor heating to C4? What was the reason for leaving it behind?

Ok thank you Amr, will try it then and get back to you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.