C4 Forums | Control4

Two/three way light circuits

Hello I could use some help here. I have a problem with a 2/3 way light circuits. I have a C4 dimmer and a 2 button keypad in the circuit. I can turn on/off the lights from the dimmer and turn them off from the keypad. However, once I turn them off from the keypad, The keypad doesn’t work anymore. In addition to that the dimmer’s blue lights are off all the time, and when I turn on the lights from the dimmer, the blue light on the keypad turns on, and then I can turn off the lights from the keypad. Once I turned off the lights from the keypad, the keypad  doesn’t work anymore unless I turn on the lights from the dimmer. Is this a wiring problem?

Yes it’s a wiring problem.  Your keypad should remain powered at all times.  LED lights on the keypad powering off when the dimmer turns off, sounds like you’ve wired the keypad wrong.

The dimmer controls the light load using the red wire.  If you have a 14/3 wire (red traveler) from the dimmer box to where the keypad is, then cap the red in both boxes.  Tie the neutral and hot of the 14/3 to the neutral and hot at the dimmer box.  Now this will send 120v to your keypad box.  Keypad only requires neutral, hot and ground.

if none of this makes sense, hire an electrician.  Seriously.

there are many ways to skin this cat but all depends how the wiring is done. 

11 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Yes it’s a wiring problem.  Your keypad should remain powered at all times.  LED lights on the keypad powering off when the dimmer turns off, sounds like you’ve wired the keypad wrong.

The dimmer controls the light load using the red wire.  If you have a 14/3 wire (red traveler) from the dimmer box to where the keypad is, then cap the red in both boxes.  Tie the neutral and hot of the 14/3 to the neutral and hot at the dimmer box.  Now this will send 120v to your keypad box.  Keypad only requires neutral, hot and ground.

if none of this makes sense, hire an electrician.  Seriously.

there are many ways to skin this cat but all depends how the wiring is done. 

Thank you so much. I was able to fix the wiring and now the keypads receive continuous power. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.