C4 Forums | Control4

Importing Playlists from Itunes

Well, I was in the process of working on a tool that takes an exported iTunes playlist (XML) and converts it to a Control4-compatible playlist format (also XML). It's not the most robust thing in the world, but it's working for me so far.

I just started using it for myself and working out the kinks. But, if others are interested, I would be open to opening it up to a small group of "beta" users. I'm just unsure of the negative factors that it would cause for me (i.e. hosting overage fees - bandwidth and/or disk space). But, it's basically an online form that does the conversion.

So, if it doesn't cause me any problems I would be more than happy to open it up to our community. Just trying to gauge interest now...

Well, I was in the process of working on a tool that takes an exported iTunes playlist (XML) and converts it to a Control4-compatible playlist format (also XML). It's not the most robust thing in the world, but it's working for me so far.

I just started using it for myself and working out the kinks. But, if others are interested, I would be open to opening it up to a small group of "beta" users. I'm just unsure of the negative factors that it would cause for me (i.e. hosting overage fees - bandwidth and/or disk space). But, it's basically an online form that does the conversion.

So, if it doesn't cause me any problems I would be more than happy to open it up to our community. Just trying to gauge interest now...

Interest would be very high, I'd love a way to not have to create two playlists each time I make one

Great! I would assume the interest would be high, but was surprised to see how short these topic-related threads were. It's good to know that others could find this useful. It motivates me to press on with my "little" project. I'll tighten it up a little before I have you guys try it out.

I'll shoot you a link once I think it's suitable for some beta testing.

I would be interested in this. I have already stripped all the iTunes DRM off, as I do with every song I have purchased so that isn't an issue.

The AppleTV driver is fine, except it requires an Apple TV and the driver which costs in excess of $200. Spending $450+ (not including the time the dealer would charge for install) to listen to DRM music is much less convenient than just stripping the DRM.

EDIT: Typo...

I would be interested in this. I have already stripped all the iTunes DRM off, as I do with every song I have purchased so that isn't an issue.

The AppleTV driver is fine, except it requires an Apple TV and the driver which costs in excess of $200. Spending $450+ (not including the time the dealer would charge for install) to listen to DRM music is much less convenient than just stripping the DRM.

My sentaments exactly (regarding the AppleTV driver). I'd rather spend the money on a different component(s).

EDIT: Consolidated to a new thread: http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=35584

I have already stripped all the iTunes DRM off' date=' as I do with every song I have purchased so that isn't an issue.[/quote']

Do you use the "burn-n-rip" method of going out to a CD and then back?

I do know, I just have a CD-RW that I use. I don't really buy much iTunes music though so this isn't a big deal.

If you have a lot you can buy a program like Sound Taxi that will do it all at once and fairly quickly.

I would be interested in this. I have already stripped all the iTunes DRM off' date=' as I do with every song I have purchased so that isn't an issue.

EDIT: Typo...[/quote']

My sentaments exactly (regarding the AppleTV driver). I'd rather spend the money on a different component(s).

EDIT: Consolidated to a new thread: http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=35584

Exactly the AppleTV driver is a rip-off. NO THANKS!!!

OK, cool. But I have clients that have over 300 audio CDs that they may have imported with iTunes using the default audio format (not mp3, so not Control4 compatible) and have quite a collection of music purchased from iTunes over the years (in August of '09 it was accountable for 25% of all music sold in the US) which is DRM'ed as well.

So, the cost of an AppleTV that they might already have and/or would like to interface with and a dynamically updated playlist connection to Contol4, along with music playback of encrypted audio without having to "burn and re-rip" and then scan in.... plus the dealer's time and the client's time...

Or use an iPod dock.

For some people, it's well worth the price. We already know you're cheap ;)

I would be interested in this. I have already stripped all the iTunes DRM off' date=' as I do with every song I have purchased so that isn't an issue.

EDIT: Typo...[/quote']

OK, cool. But I have clients that have over 300 audio CDs that they may have imported with iTunes using the default audio format (not mp3, so not Control4 compatible) and have quite a collection of music purchased from iTunes over the years (in August of '09 it was accountable for 25% of all music sold in the US) which is DRM'ed as well.

So, the cost of an AppleTV that they might already have and/or would like to interface with and a dynamically updated playlist connection to Contol4, along with music playback of encrypted audio without having to "burn and re-rip" and then scan in.... plus the dealer's time and the client's time...

Or use an iPod dock.

For some people, it's well worth the price. We already know you're cheap ;)

What's stopping them from listening to thier music on AppleTV?

Anyone willing to pay $200+ on the AppleTV driver has more money than common sense. Don't get me wrong it's great that there are Dealers willing to create such drivers, but to be that greedy and charge $200 for a driver is wrong. AppleTV itself costs $229

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv

NO THANKS!!!

Yeah, I may be cheap but I am also not stupid. Dynamic iTunes playlists are cool, but not $200+ bucks cool. I'm here to tell you that you can take a library of 1,000 songs and if 25% of them are DRM and the other 75% are some whacky AAC apple format, you can have formats changed and DRM stripped on everyone, and delete the old ones in under an hour.

Even though I am cheap, I am as willing to write a big check as the next guy when it makes sense. This just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I may be cheap but I am also not stupid. Dynamic iTunes playlists are cool, but not $200+ bucks cool. I'm here to tell you that you can take a library of 1,000 songs and if 25% of them are DRM and the other 75% are some whacky AAC apple format, you can have formats changed and DRM stripped on everyone, and delete the old ones in under an hour.

Even though I am cheap, I am as willing to write a big check as the next guy when it makes sense. This just doesn't make sense.

[/stands up and claps]

Great! I would assume the interest would be high, but was surprised to see how short these topic-related threads were. It's good to know that others could find this useful. It motivates me to press on with my "little" project. I'll tighten it up a little before I have you guys try it out.

I'll shoot you a link once I think it's suitable for some beta testing.

Count me in for Beta testing! This is exactly what I've been waiting for!

Great! I would assume the interest would be high' date=' but was surprised to see how short these topic-related threads were. It's good to know that others could find this useful. It motivates me to press on with my "little" project. I'll tighten it up a little before I have you guys try it out.

I'll shoot you a link once I think it's suitable for some beta testing.[/quote']

Count me in for Beta testing! This is exactly what I've been waiting for!

strange_brew!! It's ready for beta testing!! Send me a msg so that I can provide you details. Thx.

Archived