C4 Forums | Control4

control 4 and change of router in bridge mode

Hi, I'd appreciate a bit of help please.  I have a couple of control 4 remotes and am thinking of changing my Amplifi HD router.  The Amplifi HD router in question is only used in bridge mode, connected to my isp supplied router/modem, so I'm wondering whether, if I replace that Amplifi HD router with another, newer router which would also be used in bridge mode, should the control 4 remotes and system still work or would I need to ask my smart home pro to undertake a re-configuration? I'm hoping that, because nothing would change with the isp supplied router/modem configuation, nothing would be needed for the control 4 system, but I'm not certain.  Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Thanks for the reply. I guess the Amplifis are, in effect, only acting as access points, if set in bridge mode, to the isp supplied router/modem, which is why I thought that replacing them with a new router also in bridge mode might not result in changes being required to the control 4 set-up.  I was counselled against altering the settings on my isp supplied router/modem as to do so might contravene the terms of the isp's service, but I do take your point that its router/modem ought to be the one in bridge mode.

just depends on how everything in the network is configured. You should only have one router in your home network. I would dump the ISP combo and get a modem and router separately. If you don't change anything other than turning off the wifi on the ISP and setting up a new wifi everything should work. If stuff is not working afterwards we would need to know a lot more details or someone will have to log into the project and find out what the issue is. This should be something by a remote dealer connection as well and should not need an on-site visit. It is possible it could be so borked on-site that may be the only way to fix it though. DM if you want me to take a look.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 1:46 PM, Matt Lowe said:

just depends on how everything in the network is configured. You should only have one router in your home network. I would dump the ISP combo and get a modem and router separately.

I would agree with this, but it isn't always possible with your ISP.  And if you have IPTV with your ISP then you may cause other problems by doing this.  My ISP, Rogers Cable in Canada, does not let you use external modems, you have to use their "gateways" which combine modem, router, WAP, switch.  But you can normally put them in bridge mode.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.