C4 Forums | Control4

4Sight Annual Renewal

thefred

Hmm. My dealer wants $149. Is the fee different for a new account than for a renewal? While the email says renewal, it says

"I will mail your annual subscription kit to you, which will include your activation card and registration instructions."

Why would I need that? I'm not setting up a new account.

Hmm. My dealer wants $149. Is the fee different for a new account than for a renewal? While the email says renewal, it says

"I will mail your annual subscription kit to you, which will include your activation card and registration instructions."

Why would I need that? I'm not setting up a new account.

$149.00 is for Composer HE and a one year subscription to 4Sight. After that it is $99.00 per year to renew 4Sight. The license for Composer HE is perpetual so there is no yearly cost. You will get a card with the new subscription code which need to be entered into your my.control4.com account.

Hmm. My dealer wants $149. Is the fee different for a new account than for a renewal? While the email says renewal' date=' it says

Why would I need that? I'm not setting up a new account.[/quote']

$149.00 is for Composer HE and a one year subscription to 4Sight. After that it is $99.00 per year to renew 4Sight. The license for Composer HE is perpetual so there is no yearly cost. You will get a card with the new subscription code which need to be entered into your my.control4.com account.

Thanks. Hopefully it is a misunderstanding and not price gouging....

The response....

Thank you for asking for clarification on the 4Sight subscription price. You were right about the $149 being incorrect, and I apologize for the confusion. You originally purchased Composer Home Edition, which included a one-year subscription to 4Sight, for $149. The annual renewal for 4Sight, alone, is $10/month, or $120 per year.

Again, I apologize for the mistake, and thank you for pointing it out to me. Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Has anyone ever heard of monthly pricing or $120 per year?

The response....

Thank you for asking for clarification on the 4Sight subscription price. You were right about the $149 being incorrect, and I apologize for the confusion. You originally purchased Composer Home Edition, which included a one-year subscription to 4Sight, for $149. The annual renewal for 4Sight, alone, is $10/month, or $120 per year.

Again, I apologize for the mistake, and thank you for pointing it out to me. Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Has anyone ever heard of monthly pricing or $120 per year?

This is from the C4 press release at www.control4.com

http://www.control4.com/news/97/44/Contol4-Goes-Mobile-Introduces-Blackberry-and-Droid-Apps-to-Run-the-Smart-Home/

Beginning with the release of Control4 O/S 2.0, the Control4 Mobile Navigator/4Sight bundle will allow homeowners to take advantage of all of the rich features of 4Sight remote monitoring and control for $9.99 per month. Homeowners can access 4Sight from multiple mobile phones with a complete user interface and functionality for no additional fee.

This will not be available until after OS 2.0 is released and that will not be several for several months.

Thanks Alan. Also, if you do not upgrade your system to OS 2.0, do you know if you'd be able to use Mobile Navigator?

Not sure. C4 has not announced any further details for mobile navigator/4Sight other than what is in the press release.

Edit: The iPhone version of Mobile Navigator is currently available. The Droid and Crackberry version will be released later after 2.0 is out.

Currently the pricing is $99/yr. If he is unwilling to sell at that price I guarantee you every dealer here will. The $10/mo. doesn't start until after 2.0, as already noted.

Yeah, I'm a little pissed about this. I can't believe after I sent the dealer the info from the Control4 press release they didn't apologize and jump all over the $99. After all, I'm pretty sure they were just trying to overcharge me. If it was an honest mistake, I should have received an immediate apology and reply. But, alas, nothing... Now they have put me in a position that I really don't trust them. I can't believe I have to get a new dealer over this. I guess its just foreshadowing of what was to come next when I wanted to buy something that really cost $$.

just an idea for everybody, for the price of couple of 4sight subscribtions I've installed slingbox with c4 system and now 4sight is not needed. I can see everything that's on my system like lights, security, sensors, cameras plus a bonus of watching dvr, dvd, appletv.

http://blog.cytexone.com/cytexone-control4-slingbox-integration-public-0

Its been out for a while, matrix switch is needed but its the best way to forget about 4sight.

just an idea for everybody, for the price of couple of 4sight subscribtions I've installed slingbox with c4 system and now 4sight is not needed. I can see everything that's on my system like lights, security, sensors, cameras plus a bonus of watching dvr, dvd, appletv.

Its been out for a while, matrix switch is needed but its the best way to forget about 4sight.

What do you do for email from your C4 system and remote access? Do you use a VPN for remote access?

Can the slingbox send you emails/text messages when certian events occur? That is really all I use 4sight for....I'm sure the slingbox doesn't provide that functionality.

just an idea for everybody' date=' for the price of couple of 4sight subscribtions I've installed slingbox with c4 system and now 4sight is not needed. I can see everything that's on my system like lights, security, sensors, cameras plus a bonus of watching dvr, dvd, appletv.

Its been out for a while, matrix switch is needed but its the best way to forget about 4sight.[/quote']

Can the slingbox send you emails/text messages when certian events occur? That is really all I use 4sight for....I'm sure the slingbox doesn't provide that functionality.

Couldn't you just use twitter for that??

just an idea for everybody' date=' for the price of couple of 4sight subscribtions I've installed slingbox with c4 system and now 4sight is not needed. I can see everything that's on my system like lights, security, sensors, cameras plus a bonus of watching dvr, dvd, appletv.

Its been out for a while, matrix switch is needed but its the best way to forget about 4sight.[/quote']

Couldn't you just use twitter for that??

I haven't fully grabbed hold of Twitter, but yes...you could. The problem that I have with Twitter is the delay.

It is pretty weak that you can't configure an external SMTP host on the nice little embedded linux system running on the controllers for sending email outside of 4Sight. If you're not using 4Sight for remote access and just want email functionality it would be nice to have - albeit cutting into the MRR from 4Sight.

Now that I think of it I don't actually know how composer/director work in this regard - perhaps director does just generate an email message and uses the control4 SMTP gateway to send it; and that SMTP gateway won't relay mail without a valid 4Sight license.

Perhaps there's a hack to override the default smtp gateway on the controller, or a bind or postfix configuration change ?

Anyone know more ?

Archived