C4 Forums | Control4

New Denon 4310CI Driver Install

rwupson

Another quick question - what is everyone using - the IP or Serial Driver and which is more reliable/faster?

OP - Depends on whether or not you plan on using the web interface to tweak out your Denon. If so you'll want to use serial - The Denon's only allow one (1) IP session at a time.

Another quick question - what is everyone using - the IP or Serial Driver and which is more reliable/faster?
OP - Depends on whether or not you plan on using the web interface to tweak out your Denon. If so you'll want to use serial - The Denon's only allow one (1) IP session at a time.

If I can add a question to the discussion, if somebody is looking to upgrade a receiver anyway, does it pay to upgrade to something

like a Denon 3310 that can be controlled by an IP driver or is IR control OK. This would be for a receiver/processor in a dedicated

home theater.

That's a pretty broad question. I happen to think the Denon 3808CI with the Audyssey Add-on pac for $100 is a super deal right now.

In my opinion the big thing the '10 series gives you is 7 channel Audyssey high and wide set-ups, and the Anchor Bay ABT-2010 video processor, the later of which you may not need depending on the scaler in your tv. The replacement for the 3808ci is the 4310ci, so keep that in mind. Both are controllable via IP and serial.

Check the Denon owners thread over on the AVS forums for details.

What are you looking for absent control via control4 ?

That's a pretty broad question. I happen to think the Denon 3808CI with the Audyssey Add-on pac for $100 is a super deal right now.

In my opinion the big thing the '10 series gives you is 7 channel Audyssey high and wide set-ups, and the Anchor Bay ABT-2010 video processor, the later of which you may not need depending on the scaler in your tv. The replacement for the 3808ci is the 4310ci, so keep that in mind. Both are controllable via IP and serial.

Where can you buy the Denon 3808CI for $100?

In retrospect I guess that could be taken the wrong way. In the interest of full disclosure let me rephrase. The Denon 3808ci @ $650 plus the $100 audyssy addon pack is a great deal. Compare that againt a slightly discounted 4310ci.

Thanks for the heads up Dan.

That's the thing, outside of C4 control it will just need to do standard things like have 4 or so HDMI inputs,

1 output, decode DTHD and DTSHD-MA, have preamp outs, etc. I like Yamaha's so a new one could be something

like a RX-V1900 (the current is an RX-V2700) or if it would be a pre/pro maybe something like a Integra 9.9 or 9.8.

So assuming that the Yamaha and a 3310 will both do the things I need equally well (whether that assumption is

true or not) does the C4 control via IP in the Denon make that much of difference over IR control of the Yamaha.

I'm guessing it doesn't make sense to get a Denon just because of it's IP driver but should that make up 10%, 15%,

etc of the decision.

Controllability is certainly important. There are a couple of suite spot questions you'll want answered by your dealer about any receiver you choose.

Multi-zone support - if you plan on using it - does the driver support it ?

Tuner support - do presets work ? Direct station access ? Integration ? etc?

This said, if you don't care about paying a premium get the latest and greatest model - otherwise check out "last years" model. Like I said previously, the Denon 3808ci is controllable via IP and serial and performs quite well and you can get one for <=50% of the 4310ci.

Nope' date=' you shouldn't. You should be able to run them on 1.6+[/quote']

Most Driverworks drivers do work in 1.6 and later, depending on API functionality. There are some (the Twitter driver comes to mind recently, needing 1.8+) that require later versions.

While I don't use it everyday, I had/have the Twitter driver working like a champ on 1.7.

Most Driverworks drivers do work in 1.6 and later, depending on API functionality. There are some (the Twitter driver comes to mind recently, needing 1.8+) that require later versions.

Thanks Dan/Cody. I'm on 1.7.4.36 and am being "encouraged" to upgrade to 1.8+ to use these new Denon serial drivers. Upgrading the entire system just to get the drivers didn't make sense to me. But, from what you're saying, it sounds like they *could* be 1.8+ dependent.

Hmmm... I really want the driver, wasn't planning to upgrade until 2.0, and I don't want to lose my CA motion sensors. Decisions... decisions.

Hmmm... I really want the driver, wasn't planning to upgrade until 2.0, and I don't want to lose my CA motion sensors. Decisions... decisions.

You will need to replace the motion sensors for 2.0. I am not sure if Card Access is offering the trade in.

You will need to replace the motion sensors for 2.0. I am not sure if Card Access is offering the trade in.

Right, I knew I would have to replace/upgrade the CA sensors for 2.0 Now I have to decide if I want this new Denon driver bad enough to upgrade to 1.8+ and replace the CA motion sensors *now* versus waiting for 2.0

Thanks Dan/Cody. I'm on 1.7.4.36 and am being "encouraged" to upgrade to 1.8+ to use these new Denon serial drivers. Upgrading the entire system just to get the drivers didn't make sense to me. But, from what you're saying, it sounds like they *could* be 1.8+ dependent.

From what I was told, the new Denon xx10ci driver should work in 1.7x, so there's no need to wait. Contact your dealer, firm it up, and make the switch.

• 2 months later...

The Twitter driver will work with 1.7xx, a change to the date format has to be made. I run it on my 1.7.4 system with no issues.

The Twitter driver will work with 1.7xx, a change to the date format has to be made. I run it on my 1.7.4 system with no issues.

Please explain

Archived