C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Question?

zacher

Hi

I am glad I found this forum I got a few questions.

We are building a new house and thinking about getting the C4 system and have a question.

I will be running

63 inch samsung TV

7.1 system using a Yamaha RX-V1900

Bell HD receiver

Blu-ray

Apple TV or some media source

The question is I talked to the local dealer and told me i can not use hdmi with this system so I just want to clarify that maybe I miss understood him?

From what i understand I can not use HDMI for the controller but would I not have everything going to my receiver with the hdmi output to the TV? and have the controller connected to the TV via component?

not sure how this would work for adding rooms to the C4 system as I would like to add a few more rooms to the system in the future.

I do not talk to the dealer to later next week but it has been bugging me on how this systems works

Thanks

Hi

From what i understand I can not use HDMI for the controller but would I not have everything going to my receiver with the hdmi output to the TV? and have the controller connected to the TV via component?

Hi. Welcome! As a C4 customer (Not Dealer) may I say you will not regret using C4 as a platform ;)

To answer your main question. YES! This is precisely what you can do. It's exactly how my main home cinema zone is set up. "HDMI in": with as many compatible HDMI sources as you like into your receiver except the C4 controller which can be component or composite. (This doesn't really need to be HDMI anyway, as all it is displaying is the Control4 "Circle of Power" navigator screen on the TV.) Whether you run the C4 controller component or composite signal into the TV or the receiver (then on out via your one HDMI cable to the TV)...is up to you. It doesn't really matter. The Dealer then "programs" the C4 Controller to switch inputs of the receiver using whatever the best control driver is available for your receiver. Serial, IP, or IR. Then when you hit the "red C4" button in the middle of say an SR250 remote or a C4 touchscreen, the receiver and TV is switched on, and the component signal from the Controller is selected as the input to your receiver and switched though onto the TV screen. From there you would select the other inputs (These can all be HDMI if you like) depending on your sources. It's beautifully simple and it works every time :D

Regarding ongoing rooms, you basically need to decide what you want to do... All the sources central (say in basement, closet, or under stairs) into an HDMI matrix switch, then signal out..(these are now coming onto the market now), or the Just add Power solution, or streaming video sources out via peripherally located network media placed players (what I do).

This is a huge can of worms and really depends on your budget, what the dealer is comfortable doing, pre-existing wiring etc etc...This forum is full of the pro's and cons of each...:)

Good luck with it all!

I use C4 to control the same type of equipment as you in my living room. A Samsung LCD TV, cable HD/DVR, Blu-ray player, HD-DVD player, and an Onkyo receiver.

All of them are directly connected to the TV via HDMI. Only thing I run to the Onkyo is audio via either coaxial or toslink digital cable.

HDMI works fine in a localized system. Where it becomes an expensive solution/problem is when you want to do centralized distribution of video though out the house. HDMI by nature doesn't play well when distributing to multiple sources. I tried using a simple powered splitter in my bar area to 2 TV's. One TV worked fine through it the other didn't. HDMI matrix switches are available but pricey.

I thing ILoveC4 was testing a couple different HDMI matrix switches within his system. Maybe he'll chime in here with his results.

I have just finished testing out a Shinybow HDMI matrix switch...it worked great. The key to HDMI distribution is making sure if one run is way longer than another to put an amplifier/repeater in line. The other key component is knowing how many HDCP keys your source generates. You can have one display for each key, but you cannot have more displays than keys. Most devices output between 3 and 16, but some (like one of my Motorola DVR's) only create one. You can still run it through the matrix switch and distribute it throughout the house, you just cannot have more than one TV viewing it at any given time though.

One annoying is the few seconds delay while the source and display "handshake".

I've been so swamped lately, and been out of town, but when things settle down a bit I will try and do a review...it may take me a little while though, things are CRAZY lately.

Thanks for all the info!!!

This is know what I am thinking of doing Or make sure it is weird for this so I can add in the near future..(I knew I would get addicted to this system..lol)

The upstairs has been dry-walled already but the downstairs is not been done yet.

Downstairs I would have all devices in the wall.

Amp

Sat 1

Sat 2

Sat 3

Sat 4

Blu-Ray

Media source (not sure which one yet)

(Rooms Downstairs)

Family room

satillite

Blu-Ray

Media source

Music

Den

Hoping to use 1 speaker from zone 2 of amp

Bedroom

Sat

Media source

Music(Using 1 Speaker from zone 3 of amp

(Upstairs rooms)

Living-room

Satellite

Blu-Ray

Media source

Music

TV speakers as audio source

Master bedroom

Sat

Music

TV speakers as audio source

Any info about this set up would be great!!..

I have to see the dealer sometime next week but would like to have an idea of how it would work so I can make sure i get an accurate quote.

Thanks

You're on the right track. Easily the best decision you've made so far is to go with Control4. :D

I've stuck with the principle of having a controller out at each "zone". In your case maybe a HC300 controlling the family room receiver. And an HC200 in each room upstairs. Then you might have an SR250 or touchscreen in each room upstairs, and one in the family room downstairs that roams into the other rooms.

Actually this is very similar to my setup.

But C4 is so flexible...it'll do anything you want! Matrix switches, Just Add Power switching, Audio, whatever...the choice is yours! That's what makes it such a great system :D

Are the V1 V2 V3 componets of the Control4 syatems compatible or you'll have to buy the

same version components...Ex: Can you combine the 1000 V3 controler with the V2 Minitouch screen opr V1 10" display touchscreen?!

Is there any other limitations on the C4 system components compatibility

You can mix and match versions, but it will depend on what capabilities you want with 2.0.

If I was buying today, I would buy the v3 remote (SR-250), the 7" touchpanels, 1000v3 (or any model) - for warranty purposes and compatibility with 2.0

Be mindful that the v1/v2 10" touchpanels and v1/v2 remotes have reached End of Life status. V1/V2 remotes will not work in versions later than 1.8. While the HC-500 is no longer being manufactured, it is still supported in all versions (including 2.0) and is a capable alternative to the HC-300.

thanks for all the info.

Just starting to put together a system and have it installed in a month or so.

Question regarding media player...Is the Netgear EVA9150 hooked up to nas server the way to go?

I finally found a few that can be shipped to canada and want to snag it up if so.

Thanks agian

The netgear is fine for DVDs. For BD movies, you will have to re-encode to a lower quality format to avoid hitting the 40 megabit ceiling. Also you get no menu structure on BD so be sure to rip the correct language. Otherwise you're good to go. There's a review of the netgear 9100 (same minus internal HDD) on www.c4central.com. And not to sound like a broken record but at this price you might check out Dune. For around the same price of the 9150, you get a much more capable player. There's no C4 integration right now other than IR but if we tell them we want IP control they can make it happen.

The netgear is fine for DVDs. For BD movies, you will have to re-encode to a lower quality format to avoid hitting the 40 megabit ceiling. Also you get no menu structure on BD so be sure to rip the correct language. Otherwise you're good to go. There's a review of the netgear 9100 (same minus internal HDD) on www.c4central.com. And not to sound like a broken record but at this price you might check out Dune. For around the same price of the 9150, you get a much more capable player. There's no C4 integration right now other than IR but if we tell them we want IP control they can make it happen.

Thanks...

How is the prime version with blu-ray drive? For the difference in price.. I do need a new one. Also should I have the 500 GB HD for buffing as suggested for the Netgear?

Regarding IR control only what functions would I loose due to no C4 integration with ip ( Menu functions ? ect) as I am still new to C4.

Thanks

Archived