C4 Forums | Control4

Why does the remote control freeze or does not display all menu items?

Hi,

I have a HC500, a 8 zones amp and a Remove Control RCZ-SRC2-B. I don't have any conexion to a TV, touch screen, or Navigator installed. I also have some playlists already defined. I have also installed more than 40 C4 dimmers/switches around the house.

I am getting frustated with the frequent lack of responsiveness of my remote control. Sometimes, it takes several minutes to initialize; in other ocassions, it displays for example 3 out of 8 menu items while the others remaing blank, so you have to start guessing how to get to the next menu level you want to go to.

Is this a configuration issue? How can this be sorted out? Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

^^Again, poor Zigbee coverage could be the cause. This happens to me all the time in crappy coverage zones.

Just curious, but how big is your house? Do you have concrete interior walls? I don't have a huge place, but it is pretty good size and I don't have any zigbee coverage issues...none.

No concrete here but it's like a maze of walls. I hear you- shouldn't be in this position. Dealer coming in the next few days to investigate...

My house is pretty open, but I have a pretty big zigbee coverage area. It covers all three floors of the house well, and every where I have tried to use stuff in the yard also. I do have several gates around the yard that are monitored by card access contact sensors (with external antenna's, then installed in posts) and they have good reception as well.

I currently have C4 version 1.7.3.68 installed. 46 C4 dimmers/switches are distributed around this 5000 sq, full concrete (tones of metal), two floors house. There are at least three dimmers/switches per room.

I doubt this may be due to any zigbee coverage issues, because I experience this annoying lack of responsiveness even in the living room where there are 10 dimmers installed, and there are other 6 dimmers distributed along the 30ft distance between this room and the C4 rack.

Actually, which is the expected zigbee coverage of a single zigbee device?

I currently have C4 version 1.7.3.68 installed. 46 C4 dimmers/switches are distributed around this 5000 sq, full concrete (tones of metal), two floors house. There are at least three dimmers/switches per room.

I doubt this may be due to any zigbee coverage issues, because I experience this annoying lack of responsiveness even in the living room where there are 10 dimmers installed, and there are other 6 dimmers distributed along the 30ft distance between this room and the C4 rack.

Actually, which is the expected zigbee coverage of a single zigbee device?

I would like to see RF pattern evidence that supports proper meshing via dimmers, switches, KPs. If I were you, I would not rule-out insufficient propagation. If you do, what else can you say is the cause and/or why haven't the so-called experts here a sollution for you?

My advice to you is what I've done and that is charge your dealer with correcting the situation.

2 or 3 bars out of 5 bars is what I get. However, cell phone coverage in my entire neighbourhood is generally poor, as it is in the house. So, I'd say it is not a good parameter for assessing the situation.

I do believe he is thinking interference. My dealer went so far as to suggest another neighbor is transmitting in the Zigbee frequency band.

Have you guys tried re-imaging the SR250 remote. Seemed to clear my problems up with a very infrequent "waiting for network" message", which only lasts a few seconds when first picking up remote. I think it has only happened once in a few months now, and it was the Bar remote which does not get used daily or sometimes weekly.

Pull the batteries out of the remote.

· Hold down the 0 and the red “4” button.

· Place the batteries back in.

· Continue holding the 0 & red “4” button down for 15 seconds and then let go.

· You’ll notice the LED’s on the remote dim up and down. This will continue for up to 5 minutes, during this process you’ll notice your front screen is completely blank.

Edit: I am running 1.7.4.36, not sure this applies to systems running 1.8 and above There was a lengthy tech support bulletin for SR250 errors in 1.8, which were to be addressed in the update to 1.8.2.

1/ Isn't there a simpler "reboot" function for the SR250..rather than having to go through the "pull the battery out" routine? If not: how about C4 adds one in an upcoming software update.

2/ How about putting some sort of signal strength indicator onto the device? Again on it's LCD in an upcoming firmware release.

Surely the C4 guys know this is an issue...the "blame it on the installer", "your cellphone strength is weak", or "your walls are too thick" excuses seem a bit lame to me. Just about EVERY other wireless device I have ever used has a signal indicator and a quick reboot function ....Of course users are going to walk around their house a bit with an SR250 and push it's range. Or leave it inactive whilst they are away and want a "quick rejoin onto the network" fix. I understand the idea of the SR250, is to make it as simple a user experience as possible. And it excels in every aspect apart from this one. So users need a"fallback" method when the wireless technology fails (for whatever) reason. This is fundamentally a C4 SR250 design and function problem, not a customer or installer issue.....:/ It would really surprise me if the C4 engineers think the SR250 is perfect as it is, and can't be improved by somehow adding these functions :cool: At least make them "optional" ;)

Archived