C4 Forums | Control4

BDPN460 Sony Blu-ray player - any feedback

Hi all. Looking for new Blu-Ray player as the ole Sammy BD-P1400 starting to not play some features of the newer released Blu-ray movies.

I am considering the Sony BDPN460 which C4 already shows a driver for. And is in the sub $200 range so it won't break the bank.

Has anyone used this player and can give me input on how they like it?

Thanks!!

Yep, firmware up to date, made sure of that first. I just played Planet 51 yesterday and couldn't even get it to move across the menu selections for extended features using the >,<,^, or v arrows on the SR250 remote (even tried the oem remote). Plus the load times on it are getting off the chart with the newer movies.

The 460 is a nice player with a much faster startup time than the old Sammy. But you have to use the Sony X-bar interface and it can drive you nuts when you just want to watch a movie. Picture and Sound performance is very good, but the menu is aggravating.

The new Sony models are out. You may want to check them out first. You may want the BDP-S370 instead. $171 at B&H Photo.

I've used the N460 with positive results. I like the YouTube interface better than the Samsung's.

The new Sony models are out. You may want to check them out first. You may want the BDP-S370 instead. $171 at B&H Photo.

I've used the N460 with positive results. I like the YouTube interface better than the Samsung's.

Great call!! I did end up buying the BDP-S370 earlier today. $179.99 at BestBuy then less a 10% coupon and $15 in BestBuy reward cards. Going to set it up tomorrow and build an IR driver for it.

Thanks for the suggestion

I did end up buying the BDP-S370 earlier today.

Just FYI. I don't know if you have an iPhone or not, but Sony has put out a free App (BD Remote) that's compatible with these latest players. Full remote, keyboard, cover art etc... http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=346527109&mt=8 I bought the very short lived (<6 months) BDP-N460... very happy with it, but not compatible this App.

About 1 1/2 hours to swap hardware/blu-ray players and create a basic IR driver and another 30 minutes to redo some programming for the new blu-ray and it is up and running. So far so good. Load times on discs are vastly improved. Can now play a concert disc that wouldn't play on the Samsung. Happy Camper today :lol:

Archived