C4 Forums | Control4

Security System

thegizzard

The door sensors and motion sensors will probable work. Since they are hardwired you should be able to hook them up to the concord 4.

The alarm keypads will probably not work so they will need to be replaced.

You will need at a minimum

1. Concord 4 panel

2. Keypads

3. Superbus automation module.

I've read here that I should use Concord 4 if I want an integrated security system.

My home was pre-wired by Brinks (now ADP) and I have motion sensors and door sensors and two Keypads.

Can I just buy Concord 4 keypads and use all of the existing equipment?

What alarm panel do you currently have?

Yeah I wouldn't suspect that it would be supported. I don't recognize it at all. You could always go into the Alarm panel and read it off the board itself. Just call your security monitoring company and let them know that you are testing the system in case there is a tamper switch. That is of course assuming that the can isn't locked. If so maybe call and ask ADP what panel it is.

In all honesty it is probably easier to just change the panel with the list of equipment that henniae outlined.

I'm pretty sure what he's asking is if he can remove the "brain" of that security system, and that keypad, and use the existing wiring to hook up a Concord4 with SuperBus automation module. Is that what you're asking gizzard?

If I read it correctly he wants to use the existing wiring, with a new "brain:".

Yeah, I only caught the last part of that convo. Duh.

Without knowing if existing sensors are wireless or wired, it's pretty hard to know if a swap-out will work well.

The OP really should have a dealer who knows security panels invoved.

RyanE

The system is wired, not wireless. I just moved into the house so while the panels are here, its never been hooked up to a security monitoring company.

And yes, I want to know if I can take out this panel (and an identical one in the bedroom) and replace it with Concord4 panels. Add the Superbus. Then use all of the existing door/window sensors, motion detectors etc with Concord4. Finally integrate the Concord 4 system with Control4.

Can you tell from this picture if I can swap out this panel with a Concord4 panel and still use the other existing components?

Ok. So here is what I know now. My current system is a BHS-3000C. I've attached some pictures of the inside of the panel. I plugged the model number into the google machine and found some people saying the panel could be swapped out and replaced while keeping the peripherals (except the speaker.. needs to be changed for a siren)... anyway... given this... back to the original question...

Can the panels be swapped out for Concord 4?

More generically, what's my best option to integrate this security system with Control4?

Can the panels be swapped out for Concord 4?

The 1st picture in you post is the most important. If you look at the bundle of white jacketed wires you will see that some that have a red/black conductor and some have red/black/white/green conductor. These are the wires that run to the various locations in you house for things like door/window contacts switches and motion sensors and keypads.

The red/black are probably 24/2 or 18/2 conductors and the red/black/white/green are 24/4 or 18/4. The first number represents the gauge (or thickness) of the wire and the second number tells you how many conductors in the bundle.

The good news is that from what I have seen in your photos you will have no problems swapping out you current alarm panel for a new panel like a GE Concord 4.

Most (if no all) alarm panels use 2 conductors for thing like door and window contact switches. These devices use the red/black conductors. Basically the alarm system is just monitoring the state of a contact switch that is either opened or closed and only needs 2 wires.

For things like motion sensors you need 2 conductors to monitor the state of the sensor and 2 conductors to provide power to the sensor. These devices use the red/black/white/green conductors.

The key pads usually use the red/black/whit/green too. Two conductors are used for power (red/black) and two are used for signaling (white/green).

Based on what you have posted there should be no problem swapping out your current panel and keypads for a new panel. Your contacts and motion sensors *should* work.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the blue wire going into the jack box in the lower right corner is the phone line to the alarm. That is an RJ31X jack.

There may be other hardware parts that need to be swapped out such as the siren and you may need to change the supervisor resistors if they were installed. These things are easy to do.

More generically, what's my best option to integrate this security system with Control4?

My recommendation would be a GE Concord 4. It integrates well with C4, is inexpensive and easy to install and program.

You might consider the following system. The prices are from spytown.com.

GE 80-968-4 – Concord 4 panel and enclosure, (1) ATP 1000 keypad, (1) Hardwired siren, (1) transformer. There are some other parts in this kit like a motion sensor and some additional magnetic contacts. $121.00

GE 60-783-02 – Superbus automation module. $47.00

GE 60-763 – Lock for the cabnet (optional) $6.00

GE 60-680 – 7.0 AH battery. $21.00 – You might be able to use the existing battery in your old system. The old battery looks like a 4.0AH battery and we don’t know how old it is so I would replace it with a new larger 7.0AH battery.

The above is about the minimum you will need. Total cost about $195.00. The system has 8 hardwired zones and also has wireless so if you want you can add wireless sensors. You can also add a wireless key fob GE TX-4014-010-2 ($29.00). I like the little fob because you can program the buttons to trigger programming on your C4 system as well as arm/disarm.

If you need more than 8 zones you will need additional hardware. You can add 8 more hardwired zones with a Superbus 8-zone input module GE 60-774 ($41.00)

If you need more keypads you can add a GE 60-983 ($65.00), which is the same model that comes with the kit above.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. System installed. The Security Panel and my server rack are on opposite sides of a wall. I would like to run Cat6 between the security panel and the HC300. I thought I saw a link to a serial to Cat6 converter, but now I can't find it. Anyone have a link or suggestion?

Also,

I would like my dealer to add additional GE wireless Motion Sensors to integrate with Concord 4. Does anyone have a link for buying GE Wireless Motion Sensors?

Yeah, try this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10415&cs_id=1041501&p_id=1153&seq=1&format=2

doesn't come with instruction, but you can easily google it.

Go to ebay and search, 60-511-01-95, 60-639-95R, 60-639-95R-ODit should give you a list of wireless GE.

Page 82 of this give you list of concord4 component and devices. http://www.sdilink.com/GE%20Manuals/Concord%204%20Installation%20Manual.pdf

Thanks all. System installed. The Security Panel and my server rack are on opposite sides of a wall. I would like to run Cat6 between the security panel and the HC300. I thought I saw a link to a serial to Cat6 converter, but now I can't find it. Anyone have a link or suggestion?

Also,

I would like my dealer to add additional GE wireless Motion Sensors to integrate with Concord 4. Does anyone have a link for buying GE Wireless Motion Sensors?

Of you're doing the motions for security the GE ones will be fine. If you're trying to use them to detect occupancy and automate around that, buy Card Access sensors.

Also,

A lot of dealers will be able to do it as well albeit they will prob. just do the converter as it is quicker. They may be able to order the additional sensors for you as well. You can prob do this yourself without the need to buy a converter. You can go to Radio Shack or similar store and buy the DB9 end points and just wire the cat6 cable to the endpoints. This is what I did as the converters had problems with pinouts

Archived