C4 Forums | Control4

Security System for use in australia

I am looking to install an alarm in my new home and want it to integrate with C4 for future automation tasks.

I have tried to find the GE Concord 4 alarm system in Australia with no luck, but I am able to import one from the states for a great price (even compared to an australian alarm install).

Is the Concord 4 alarm panel usable in Australia? I know I will need to source a 240v power supply, but that should be it.

I would be looking at the GE 80-968-4 starter kit for the panel, siren, keypad, etc and then attaching a couple of wireless door sensors, PIR sensors and a remote fob.

The only thing I am concerned about is the fire/smoke detectors. Are the US built wireless models that integrate with the Concord 4 approved for use in australia and australian standards? If not then is there an option for integrating australian fire detectors into C4?

Cheers,

Dean

Hi Dean. I'm not so sure a non Australian Alarm system is such a good idea. These things are notorious for false alarms. What do you do if this sort of thing starts to happen? Also support for smoke detectors as you say. You can still get a fair amount of integration with C4 using hardwired I/O's. I do this for armed/disarmed/alarm going off and email alerts. I wish someone (...queue A.C.) would write a driver for some of the common alarm systems here. Inner Range and Ness would be a good start ;)

Hi wappinghigh,

Thanks for your feedback and it was what I was thinking.

My only issue is that the concord 4 module allows for alot more integration, I would like to use the door status, motion sensors, etc in C4 for air con alerts if the doors are open, lighting with motion, etc.

I had a look at the Inner Range alarm and it looks great and has a good serial interface but I cannot see any wireless sensors which would be important for my retrofit.

I am still torn between the options with one idea being to buy an extra alarm panel as a spare and have it programmed ready to go as a backup.

How common are false alarms and is it more common on the Concord 4 than it would be on an australian alarm?

I wish you could just buy the concord 4 here in aus :-(

How about a panel that will interface with this http://www.das.com.au/products/alarms/control-panel/series-modules/Serial%20Interface.aspx (NX584).

It is an australian reseller, it has a built in C4 driver and it looks like it will pass the zone status through to C4.

Only thing is it has a wireless interface, but I don't think it is as nice as the concord wireless setup.

Could be an option for AU...

The DAS will work. It has been used several times. Most people utilise it with the NX16.

Most dealers utilise the Elk M1 which is rebadged Ness M1 in Australia.

Note You will need someone who has a security licence to install the alarm in Australia. If you don't it is illegal (kind of like how running your own network cables is illegal now too) and may cause issues with your insurance.

Thanks for the advice Alan, I will have a look into the Ness M1 and see what I can find.

I would get the panel and any fixed wiring done by a licensed installer but I would be able to do all the wireless sensor placement (as far as I know only the fixed wiring needs to be done by a licensed installer).

Does the Ness M1 support wireless door/window sensors?

Are US or EU alarms allowed to be installed in Australia? If Installed by a professional installer would it not be the same as using an australian alarm system?

Cheers,

Dean

The Ness do have wireless reid switches (door/window sensors).

In regards to the legality of sensor placement and panels from overseas i cannot comment. Legally consumer products in australia need to pass a C-Tick regulartory compliance. In regards to other potential legal issues you will need to consult a security expert. Unfortunately that is the extent to my knowledge on the legal preceedings on this topic.

The Ness M1 will give you Arm/Disarm/Alarm notifications and zoning information (ie any sensor you connect to it). It will also give you a virtual keypad as well to use with any of control4's user interface devices / 4sight.

I've just completed my wiring for a new house build in Australia an planning to deploy an elk m1 solution( ness).

My quote for a ness fully installed was $8800.00. Ive decided to buy from the US at a cost of about $1600. Difference too much to ignore for me.

Here is a useful forum http://www.diyalarmforum.com/elk-technical-questions/

Here is a place to research costs in USA http://www.homesecuritystore.com/c-68-alarm-systems.aspx

To be honest, if I did not have so many wired zones and was going wireless, I would install the concord system. Not as powerful, but a lot cheaper. Based on the c4 notes, it looks very easy to integrate. There is a tone of YouTube videos to show how to deploy concord also.

Hi Dannyboy,

Thanks for the info, I had a look at the M1 and called around a bit and had the same impression that it was a very expensive setup here in Aus.

I am thinking I will stick with the concord 4 and see how I go, I have lined up an installer to put it in and it should all work here.

Cheers,

Dean

Archived