C4 Forums | Control4

Control4...your dimmers are KILLING me!

ILoveC4

Every light I have that is on a Control4 dimmer that isn't a three way or more situation(ie: no keypad in the mix) the lights buzz horribly when dimmed to anything less than 80% or so. Tell me I'm not the only one with this

Does a fix exist?

I had a family member bring over a Crestron dimmer and a Lutron dimmer...neither had this problem. Furthermore a $2 dimmer from Home Depot doesn't either.

Can anyone speak to the ease of integrating Lutron with Control4? This had always drive me nuts, but know knowing the competing solutions work fine I'm going to do something about it.

This may be a good time to migrate to Prodigy...

Case Study:

Lutron RadioRA 2

The purpose of this project was to integrate the new Lutron RadioRA 2 wireless lighting control system with Control4. Our experts created a driver to link RadioRA 2 and Control4 through an RS232 or IP network, allowing users of the Lutron RadioRA 2 system to seamlessly operate these devices within the Control4 home automation environment. Lutron switches, dimmers, and keypads can now also trigger Control4 events such as turning on a TV, increasing volume, or starting multi-room music. Lutron demonstrated its compatibility with the Control4 system at the Consumer Electronics Show in January of 2010.

http://www.houselogix.com/01/secnav-01.09.asp

http://www.houselogix.com/products/radiora2packages.asp

Lutron corp. offices are located here and it was a joint undertaking between Lutron and HouseLogix.

It has always been happening, but again...only in lights that just have a dimmer and no keypad in the mix. There are only three lights that fit that criteria, that I am ever close enough to hear. That said, they drive me nuts. I have sensitive ears, it doesn't bug my wife but to me...it is like finger nails on a chalkboard.

It has always bugged me, but Now it REALLY bugs me because I know it is a control4 thing. I'm probably going to jump to Lutron Radio Ra2...

They have a dedicated neutral...they aren't wired wrong, I can assure you.

Why don't they buzz when a keypad is in the mix? Is there a resistor or something i could put in the circuit that would accomplish the same thing electrically as the keypad does? My only worry about implementing Lutron is my zigbee mesh...

Suppose you are using dimmers from first generation like LDZ-101? I'm from Europe and a few years ago had the same problem for 240V C4 dimmers. The issue here is that such kind of dimmers (like any other forward-phase dimmers) produce quite strong harmonics multiple to power line frequency which in some situation of wiring and light fixture can be very audible (like a buzzing). In my case I've just installed the capacitor 0.01uF x 450V connected to dimmer power line. This works like simplest filter.

Sure in your case when you are connecting keypad in conjunction with dimmer then input circuits of keypad works like additional filter to power line and buzzing is significantly reduced.

If you not familiar with electricity\electronics I strongly do NOT recommend to perform fix I did. this is dangerous to life and can damage dimmer!

Instead you can replace problem dimmers with new generation of C4 dimmers. For incandescent/halogen lamps I'm now using C4-TDIM2-Z (240V) dimmers which are reverse-phase and have NO any issues with buzzing in all places of my house. USA analog is C4-TDIM1-Z. so just try.

Lutron RadioRA2 works great and is easy to implement with Control4.

What is the comparable cost to implementing RadioRa2 versus just using C4 dimmers? Is there a savings/benefit or just peace of mind? (I realize going C4 helps with network coverage).

@Gene - Lutron is very slightly more expensive, but also have more compelling products, such as a 10 button keypad that is also a dimmer (I've bern waiting for Control4 to come out with this for years).

@DmitriLo - this happen with new dimers and old dimmers alike. I am willing to try your fix, but I would like you to elaborate a little more. Depending on how large that is, in most instances it would be easiest to install in the box that the light fixture attaches to. I'll need to think further about the best place to mount it with can lights.

So just install that anywhere on the black "hot" line and it should go away?

I had the this problem. I changed the dimmer. It now works fine. The dimmer with the hum, I installed on a circuit without any dimmer requirements. Now I have no hum and where it is now located I have it set to 100 % My dealer at the time insisted he did not hear it. Absolutely tried to make a fool out me. Like I need him to do that, I do it myself without any problems.

Matt

• 2 months later...

I still haven't. I was all gung-ho before the holidays, and then it got de-railed with the holiday and the new baby. I've been traveling a lot lately, which makes it tough.

Plus, I should have mentioned this, but I replaced my incandescent bulbs in the sconces and some of the fixtures/chandeliers with a lower wattage bulb (I think I went from 65 watt to 40 watt?) from GE (I think) and the buzzing is essentially gone. They seem every bit as bright too. I am going to try doing the same for some of my can lights. If I can get the buzzing to go away with my existing gear that will be better.

Archived