C4 Forums | Control4

Warranty work -- $150 or more to replace dimmer?

C4 warranty is similar to any electronic manufacturer warranty. If you buy a new Sony TV and it goes bad, Sony will fix it or give you a new one under their warranty, but they don't cover taking the TV off the wall, then remounting it and calibrating it. The same rule applies for a reciever, projector, theater screen, in ceiling speakers, etc. For that matter the same goes with anything you buy at any of the big box stores, unless they install it. The warranty on the install should be covered by the Installation company

I think you are missing the point.

What if Sony told you that calibrating the TV can only be done legally by a certified Sony dealer. Buying a Sony TV means you HAVE to hire a dealer to calibrate it or even get it to work. So you buy the product and service from the dealer. 10mths no fault of your own or the installer product fails. Upcomes the warranty replacement you HAVE to calibrate again. and you CANNOT do it yourself. Who PAYS?

The difference of course with the other receivers, projectors, theater screen, in-ceiling speakers (as I exampled in an earlier post). Is that I could walk in to any store buy it and install it MYSELF or CHOOSE to pay someone to do it. with C4 you do not have the choice. Unlike the other products in your examples, If it breaks and the company gives me a replacement I could take it home and turn it on or the very least install it myself.

And again I'm not ranting for the fact that you do not choice. This is not a "DIY against Dealer" post

I'm against the fact that under current C4 warranty practice it is unfair for the dealer and ultimately the end-user that pays for it.

All I'm saying is that if they are taking away that choice then their warranty policy should reimburse the dealer/end user for a re-installation of a C4 defective product.

I'm surprised that dealers don't feel the same way.

I agree that Control4 should reimburse the dealer a preset amount of labor for the RMA on a product, and they should require the dealer to take care of it. The law of averages sets in and the dealer stays busier, the customer stays happier, etc..

Archived